1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Difference in raising meat birds and laying hens???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by erinszoo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We have 10 laying hens, 1 duck, 2 geese, and 1 turkey right now but we have ordered 15 CX for this fall. Is there anything we need to do different with the meat birds than with our layers? We've never had meat birds before so we're a little nervous. Any advice would be great.

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Hello Erin,

I understand there are feed restrictions for the CX. I believe you should only feed them every 12hrs so they don't eat themselves to death but I have not yet raised them. I feed my layers designated layer feed and my broilers get broiler feed [​IMG]

3. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Quote:x2 - will help a lot - good luck!! We bit the bullet and are 2 weeks into our meaties!

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, I'm on week 4 1/2 of my first adventure into raising cornish cross meaties. Really, nothing fundamentally different -- the main thing I find is that they are super glutinous, so be prepared to keep the feeder full and be prepared for a mad rush when you bring them food in the AM after restricting them at night.

But basically, chickens are chickens. They just grow a lot faster, eat a lot more, and poo a lot more.

5. trulyblessed

trulyblessed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Yes, I ditto above. The main difference is the amount of food, poop, and smell. The meaties are little machines [​IMG]

6. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info all. Not sure about the increase in poop however it probably won't be any worse than my geese. Looking forward to taking the plunge![​IMG]

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Their food (and water!) consumption seems to be exponential - in the beginning, they are cute and fuzzy and seem to eat and poo a bit more, but man, at the end, I felt I was running a losing race to keep them fed and watered. I had a 15lb feeder and a 3 gallon waterer that I filled twice a day at the end. I almost swear that last week (I processed at 7 weeks) they doubled their feed consumption from the previous week.

On the other side, that same 15lb feeder keeps my layers (which numbered 2 more than the number of meaties), fed for a week+. They have a pool in the summer that keeps them watered, and a 5 gallon bucket that I have to dump each week in the winter to make sure they have fresh - they don't drink near as much -maybe a gallon a day. MUCH cleaner too.

I still think I'll do another batch of meaties this fall - the results were worth it to us. I had all roosters and I admit they did make me laugh when they would puff up and try to attack me....and then lay down from the effort.

8. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Cornish cross can't have food 24/7 only every 12 hours. They will eat themselve to death. They also don't forage well like egg layers. They would rather lay down to eat the grain than work for their food. They poop more so need more cleaning and they tend to drink more as well so I check their water like 4 times a day even though we have 4 waterers with them. Other than that they are okay but their mind revolves around food and they tend to not think of much else lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by