difference in red heat lamp verses clear??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimt816, Jan 22, 2009.

1. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    i was wondering what the difference is between the infrared lamps and the clear ones. my first batch of chicks are getting ready to hatch next week and i have the clear bulb but see the red bulbs on all the sights with supplies is their any real advantage or difference.[​IMG]

2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I brooded my 3 B's with a white light just fine. Some say the red light allows them to sleep, but they slept well with white.

3. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    In my experience, the red light keeps the picking down. White light seems to encourage chicks to fight more.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The main advantage to using red light seems to be that it decreases the chance of pecking issues.

5. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    thanks everyone

6. campbellhatchery

campbellhatchery Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    Quote:I have nearly 150, I started out with red but its a bit to hot for them in the stack brooders. I went to white and they started pecking and fighting. When I went back to red they slept better and stopped fighting so much.

7. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:That's what I had heard as well. Does it matter the length of time they have artificial light per day? I keep mine indoors for the first 2 months or so with flourescent lighting on most of the time. Is that bad for them?

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    One thing we have noticed is the red heat lamp does last longer than the white. I don't know if it is just the brand our local Lowes carries but it seemed like every time you turned around one of the clear bulbs was blown. Has anybody else noticed that?

Steve in NC

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Haven't blown a single bulb of any color using them over brooders. The only bulbs I've blown in the past year was a bad wiring issue in the bathroom that caused all the bulbs to go out over the mirror when both the fan and lights were turned on. Every color of incandescent bulb should produce the same amount of heat. The same amount of electricity goes into it and the same ratio of heat to light generated applies. The only difference is that our eyes pick up yellow and green spectrum light better than red and blue so it appears brighter to us. Same with most animals.

10. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the info. I was wondering as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by