Differences between a Black Sex Link Cockerel and a Cuckoo Maran?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChookCluck, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    I have a bird which I cannot identify... Could anyone please tell me what differences there are between Cuckoo Marans and Black Sex Link Cockerels? They are only a few weeks old.

Thanks

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Obviously they are both barred birds. To me, black sexlink boys look like really poor quality barred rocks. I think their legs colors are different too. Marans have white legs and sexlinks pink (I think-could be wrong though). Good luck!

3. ChookCluck

ChookCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    So I can go on the leg colour then? But will they have their full leg colour at 12 weeks old?

Thanks!

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Male BSL should have yellow legs. It might depend on where you get them. The ones I had I got from a hatchery. All of the males were barred with yellow legs and some had gold or red leakage in the feathers. I have never owned and Marans roosters, so I can't help there except I believe that
    Quote:

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Nope. Black sex links can be created by so many different breeds - they can have any leg color, depending on the breeds used to make them.

The difference will be in the barring.

Black sex link rooster - not my picture:
    [​IMG]

Cuckoo Marans rooster - not my picture:
    [​IMG]

6. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    i have black sex link roo by way of a cuckoo maran about 15 weeks here

[​IMG]

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I have a Sex-link, I found out because Apparently black sex links have the blue-ish green metallic, Color, mixed with black. Like A "Raven" how they aren't just black they have the shiny turquoise tint to there black feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by