1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Differences between Barred Rock hens and Dominique Hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by carolinachickie, Jan 30, 2013.

1. carolinachickie

carolinachickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    It is very hard for me to see the difference between a Barred Rock hen and a Dominique hen. Can someone please explain to me the differences in appearance and personality of the two? And I'm just assuming the Barred Rock is a better egg layer?

2. fuhrchick

fuhrchick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    Sherman, Texas
    Comb type is probably the easiest way to tell. Barred Rock has a single comb and dominiques have more of a rose or walnut comb (sorry don't remember which).
    Personalities I really don't know because I have only had Barred Rocks. They are good hens. Mine never went broody but she was also attacked by a stray dog so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Very friendly though.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    In hatchery stock there much the same other that comb type, Plymouth Barred Rock has a Single Comb and the Dominique has a Rose Comb. Now there is a huge difference between the two breeds when referring to Show Quality/ Pure Bred Stock.
    Try this link
    http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Dominiques_and_Barred_Rocks.html

(Chris(

1 person likes this.
  4. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Thanks for the link that clearly explains the differences between the two breeds.

5. Shima

Shima New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Gadsden, AL
    [​IMG]

Barred Plymouth Rock or Dominique? Thanks.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

Hatchery barred Rock.

7. Shima

Shima New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Gadsden, AL
    Hatchery barred rock? As opposed to what other kind of barred rock? Thanks.

8. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Hatcheries breed lower quality birds. Pure bred birds from breeders usually are much heartier birds. It is the same difference between a puppy mill boxer and one from a breeder who cares about the breed's standards.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, hatchery quality in the bird world is like pet quality in the dog world. Just means she doesn't necessarily meet the breed standard, but then again none of my flock does lol.

10. Shima

Shima New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Gadsden, AL
    Thanks for the details. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by