Differences between BR and BSL Roos?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by laughaha, Jul 29, 2010.

1. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I got what I thought were gonna be straight run BR's but one of my roo's has red bleeding through on a couple of feathers on his neck and I was told that this meant is was a BSL roo.

[​IMG]

The rest don't have any bleeding through but I don't know how to tell if they are pure or not. Please HELP

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    It is hard to tell the difference sometimes but if he has red leakage, he isnt a pure barred rock but doent necessarily mean he is a BLS, he could be a BSL or he could be from a Barred rock roo crossed on a gold breed.

But like a Sexlink from a cross of a Black Rock roo on a Barred Rock hen will be techically a Black Sexlink and a pure Barred Rock since he is barred and both of the parents are rocks.

Do you have more pics of your roos and are they all dark like that like the hens ? If they are, chances are they are not pure Barred Rocks, Most pure Barred Rock roos are homozygous barred which makes them lighter than hens, it is rare to to get a Heterozygous roo everynow and then, especially a whole group of them, but BSL and any Barred crossed roos are dark het barred becuase they all got one copy of barring. So if all your roos are dark like the one pictured, I dont think they are pure.

3. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Thanks for responding so fast!!!!

I'll get pics of the rest of them in the morning and post them. I'll post pics of the BR pullets that I bought at the same time cuz if the roo's aren't pure, then the girls probably aren't either even though they look it to me (a novice). The interesting thing is they all came from the same hatchery at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by