differences between roosters and hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickMandy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    hello, my name is Timber. i am nine years old and i wanted to ask a question.

when a chick is 15 weeks old, how can you tell the differences between roosters and hens?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

thank you.
    from
    timber

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Well, their comb and wattles will be very different, the comb will be big for roosters and small for hens, roosters will also have bigger thicker legs and hens will have smaller ones. Roosters will have pointy tail feathers and hens will have rounded feathers. If you have crested birds, the crest will be bigger on the boys

3. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    thanks for your reply. would i already be able to see the differences at 15 weeks? we have barred rock chicks and black star chicks.

4. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Barred Rocks you can tell very early and same with the Black Stars. Barred Rock roosters will be much lighter in color. As the other poster said comb will be bigger and redder and legs much more stout. I believe Black Star (sex linked) roos will also be barred. So they will look the same as the Barred Rock roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by