differences in cayuga and east indies

nursesammy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Alta Vista , KS
Can someone please tell me the difference in cayugas and east indies? i mean from seeing pics and such they look alot alike. All ive ever had is cayugas but i wasnt sure if there was that much difference. Thought id ask the professionals. lol thanks!

BEI are bantam ducks. Cayugas are BIG ducks.
smile.png

I raise both myself now thanks to: 4-H chicken mom

The BEO i got from her have so so much more color depht to them.
Plus they are Call ducks as Rare Feathers Farm said

Here's some pics of my Cayugas (the others are varying shades of Muscovy)
smile.png
:

Waterfowl.jpg

JuvenileCayugasandChocoMusc.jpg

Cayugas.jpg

Picture054.jpg

DSCN2863.jpg

I got my Cayugas on accident....I paid for some "wild" Muscovy hatching eggs and ended up with QUACKING juveniles ducks when they got large enough...when I finally got a hold of the lady, she'd packed two boxes at the same time and put the wrong labels on them!! So the person who wanted the Cayugas got my 'scovies!

I really want to try bantam ducks again (I had silky bantam ducks and had hardiness issues and they didn't lay well at all!) But I've been eyeing the BEIs and Australian Spotted (calls) for some time...

My Cayuga pair are really very quiet. Thelma has the loud quack, of course, but I have heard her quack maybe 5 times in 9 months. She was TICKED OFF, though... and it was just ONE loud quack for each instance.

Now, Louie gabbles all the time, but it's not loud at all. Thelma will gabble back very very softly, too.

Thelma has been giving me an egg a day for over 2 months, with only a single day break every week or so. However, there wasn't an egg yesterday or the day before.... so I she's either slowing down for the season OR she's hidden it. (A couple have been laid right in the kiddie pool, and several have been - individually - tucked under the lip of the kiddie pool. She doesn't always lay there; sometimes she lays in the front yard by the 40 gallon water trough.

My cayuga had only laid a hand full of eggs in her 2 years. maybe 10 MAX!
Although my Cayuga is a good duck, she is the worst layer out of all 21 ducks.

Last edited:
I just got my first egg out of my fav girl today. Shes 25 weeks old now. Shes the sweetest thing. I do see the size difference in the BEI now thanks to all your wonderful pictures! I think I'll have to give them a try next spring! so stinking cute!

Back
Top Bottom