Differences in Hatchery Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by themenagerie, Aug 6, 2011.

1. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    So, I noticed today for the first time (?!) that two of my four Barred Rock pullets do not have yellow legs, the bottoms of their feet are pink and the legs are a pinkish gray, they're about ten weeks old now. Does this mean they're crosses of some sort?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

no, give them time they will get there true color with age![​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Hatchery barred rocks will often have faults like incorrect leg color, poor barring, floppy combs and such. This will not change as they grow although there might be a bit of lightning up of the color as they age.
    If you are wanting to raise SOP birds or show them your best bet is to buy from a reputable breeder.
    If you are just wanting lots of nice eggs from a good dual purpose fowl, then leg color is really not a problem and these will most likely do very well for you.

Good luck!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    As mfb stated, it's just the difference between hatchery and breeder stock. Hatchery birds are bred for egg laying, as a rule, so they allow other faults to creep in as long as the hen lays well. My barred rocks have lightened up as they've aged, from yellow to whitish-grey, but I've been told that's normal as a hen ages.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The above post are correct, hatcheries know your not concerned that they don't look at all like the SOP as long as they lay well. They do allot of outcrossing to get a better layer not a better standard bred bird. if the look of him is not a huge priority then your fine, is so you gotta get a better bred bird.

6. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I was just curious, just thought that all BR's had yellow legs. I have no interest in showing, as long as they lay eggs eventually, I don't really care what they look like.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Hatcheries often cross BR's with None feather footed cookoo marans, which have light leg's. they do this because all the customer wants is a striped bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by