1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Different age chicks in the brooder, when do they go in the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by suburbfarmer, Jan 20, 2013.

1. suburbfarmer

suburbfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I'm a first time chicken owner, and recently bought 4 pullets of slightly different ages that are all in the brooder together.

2 of them are about 8 weeks, and the other two are about 4 weeks.

Do I wait until the youngest ones are all feathered out to put them all in the coop together, or should I put the older ones in first and the younger ones in later?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Part of the answer depends on where you are/climate.
    I would keep them together since they're friends now.
    Do you have electric in the coop or can you run an extension cord?
    If it were me I'd put them all out there now and hang a heat lamp.
    I had 3 birds - a 6 week, a 4 week and a 3 week old in an unheated building with a heat lamp. The power went out for 10 hours before I knew about it. They hunkered in a corner together and there were no ill effects. It got into the 20s in the building.

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Personally, if they're all together now and getting along I would just move them all in together when the younger ones are ready. Separating them might cause problems when you reintroduce them.

4. suburbfarmer

Jan 16, 2013
    Thanks ChickenCanoe and Simz.

I'm in So Cal, so our winters are not bad. Lowest overnight temps are in the high 30's. I do have the capability of putting a heat lamp in the coop too.

If I move them to the coop, should I keep them closed up in the hen house for a week before I let them into the run, or can I let them have the run of the place right away?

5. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I've found that if I leave chickens "cooped up" in their new house for a few days, they understand that it's home and will go back in at night. Otherwise, it's a nightly herding routine to get them back into the coop until they learn the routine. (And 8 weeks old chicks don't herd well! LOL) Therefore, I'd leave them inside for 2-3 days and then let them start venturing out into the run.

6. suburbfarmer

Jan 16, 2013
    That makes total sense.

Thank you both for the great advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by