different age chicks living together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommy4cdjm, May 14, 2009.

1. mommy4cdjm

mommy4cdjm Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    I have 4 chicks that are about 3 weeks old and 4 chicks that are under 1 week. Can they live together with out hurting each other? I have them together now and they seem fine but I am a bit worried since the 3 week olds are bigger. Thanks for any advice. I am new to this. [​IMG]

2. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    if they are doing fine now, then you have no problem. It was good that they were all so young.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have the same issue, except I have 4 three weekers and 26 5 day olds. So far the bigger birds have been ok though one has peck several babies. I think they scare her, but I'm hoping she calms down soon. [​IMG]

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I put my two 1 week old frizzles in with my 4 week old silkies and cochins. They are doing just fine. The older ones look after the little ones. Of course, the silkies and cochins are very mild mannered. I would have never put them in with my sebrights and japanese!

5. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I am wondering the same thing... I have some 3wks old( EE and a pair of Japenese Banty's) do I put my day olds with them???

6. humboldtchicken

humboldtchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    eureka
    I have one weekers with two weekers and the two weekers are starting a little to pickon the younger ones, not too bad yet but I am not liking it. Trying to keep faith cause I know chickens will be chickens but if the picking on gets much worse I will get rid of the older or separate, dont know. I have one that has been from day one the head honcho. We call her joker from spiderman the movie?...joker is the bad guy with attitude. So far, thats the only one weve named. Hopefully she gets better though and not much worse, shes a butt. Might get rid of that one, seems to be the one causing problems. I put a chunk of earth and grass in there and it helped a little but when I moved them where there is a lot more light the fighting seems to be getting worse. Not sure what else to do myself. Good luck.

7. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

I put 38 assorted 1 week old chicks in with five 3-week old chicks and there was no problem at all. The younger ones follow the big girls around and they all lay down for naps together. They have lots of room, which could be an important factor, but they've been together for 2 weeks and doing great. I did wait until the brand new babies had a little time to adjust and eat and drink and get their bums cleaned from time to time (3 or 4 days) before I combined the groups.

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I am going to be struggling with the lots of room thing soon with my banties. I have 2 cochin's, 5 silkies, 2 frizzles and my mystery chick all together in a large size guinea pig/rabbit cage. I tried to separate them once already but they won't have it. They sit and chirp miserably in the corners, not eating or drinking or doing anything, lol until I put them back together. It is the oddest thing! The cochins are the worst!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by