Different Aged Chicks and Momma Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rocky41102, Oct 6, 2011.

1. rocky41102

rocky41102 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Tennessee
    I am having some chick issues. I have a mama hen with 5 chicks almost 2 weeks old. I have one chick that just hatched today and that mama hen isn't accepting it-killed her other chick, pecked and knocked this one out of the nest. I moved the newest one under the good mama for tonight and she let it crawl under her with the others. Will she take care of it with the others tomorrow? They go outside and down a ramp and everything and I'm not sure if the newest is old enough. Will they work it all out or do I need to move the new one to a brooder? I can try and make some adjustments to the coop ramps and stuff....

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have seen an age difference of about a week before but not two. That chick needs to be sat on.

IMO I'd put the one chick in with one of the older chicks in a brooder so it won't be lonely. Then watch to make sure the older chick is nice to it. Keep in mind the older chick needs to be able to get away from the heat, as the new one needs 90-95 degrees, but the two week old needs more like 80 degrees.

This is just what I'd do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by