Different ages and food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuggetraiser, Aug 23, 2014.

1. nuggetraiser

nuggetraiser Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Hello all

I have a 20 week old RIR and an older rooster. I recently got a batch of four now 11 week old pullets. I'd like to integrate them since they have been free ranging together for a couple weeks now and seem to be fine. Question is how to deal with different nutrional levels of protein. Will they all be ok with layer level protein if I provide oyster shell seperately to the 20 week old?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It would be best if you fed all of them a flock raiser or grower feed until the 11 week old birds were of laying age. Younger, non-productive birds aren't meant to handle the high levels of calcium that are in layer feed. If you fed flock raiser or a general chick grower, also supplement free-choice with oystershell. The birds that need the oystershell will eat eat it, but the birds whose bodies don't need the extra calcium should leave the oyster shell alone.

1 person likes this.
  3. nuggetraiser

nuggetraiser Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Thanks! [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree, not layer. It has too much calcium, and imo not enough protein for growing birds. Feed everyone grower/non-medicated starter and offer the oyster shell.

1 person likes this.
  5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

If you keep any males at all, layer should not be the food offered, ever.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by