Different Ages

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by saltytaco728, Jun 20, 2016.

1. saltytaco728

saltytaco728 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I have 7 chickens that are 16 weeks old, 6 that are 13 weeks old and 2 that are about 8 weeks old. They are together all day and eat their starter / grower out of the same feeders. When the oldest chickens are 18 weeks old, how do I switch them to their layer feed?

1 person likes this.
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you can mix the layer feed with the starter and gradually increase the amount of layer feed until it's all layer feed

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If they are all together, keep them on starter/grower until the youngest are ready to lay. Just put out a dish of oyster shells for the older ones.

1 person likes this.
  4. kkgreenwood

kkgreenwood Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2016
    SE Michigan
    I was going to post something similar. It is safe to put out a tray of oyster shells for the older ones if there are younger ones mixed in? I know too much calcium is bad for the kidneys of the younger chickens - but as long as the feed doesn't have the extra calcium and it's put out separately, all will be safe and happy?

Thanks

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Just offer oyster shell on the side instead of layer feed. I feed all my chickens flock raiser right from hatch, and I have a separate container of oyster shell for those who need or want it. I also toss them eggshells.

6. kkgreenwood

kkgreenwood Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2016
    SE Michigan
    Thanks everyone for the advice. We put out the oyster shells and in 3 days shes is back to her egg-laying ways. She even laid this MONSTER egg after not laying for a couple days! [​IMG]

7. saltytaco728

saltytaco728 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I put out oyster shells and my roosters and younger chickens are eating them too. Is that a problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by