remisophy

Songster
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
McMinnville, Oregon
I have 3 marans 2 Delaware 1 Amber white & 1Americana they are 3 weeks
old. someone told me some breeds just wont get along. does anyone know
if this mix will be alright together?

I think as long as they are raised together they should be okay. Ususally the problems arise when you introduce new members to an established flock which cause them to have to redo the pecking order. I think there can be a problem chicken in any breed. I have a Buff Orpington who went from the bottom of the pecking order to the top and has become a bully.

I have a established coup with 3 delaware hens and a dominate delaware
rooster.
hmm.png
There might be some squabbling if you add the others to the mix. You just never really know. I had a small flock of 5 who got along well with each other (Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Buff Opington, Australorp and White Rock). When they were six months old I added 4 more pullets (Speckled Sussex, Blue Andalusian, and two Easter Eggers who were 4 months old who had lived side by side in a seperate run for a while. It was brutal and I ended up seperating them for fear they would kill the younger birds. I had to add the older birds to the younger birds run one at a time and allow them to get long before adding the next. This has worked except with my Buff Orpington who is as mean as a snake. Right now she is being kept seperate until my new roo is out of quarantine and can be introduced. Hopefully she will calm down some.

Back
Top Bottom