Different Breeds OK together?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by typercy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. typercy

typercy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    We are planning to get 4 chicks in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering if we need to get 2 of one breed and 2 of another, or if it would be OK to get four different breeds. Any I should stay away from?

Thanks,

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Jungle Fowl and Asil's i *think* Are the only things to stay away from. But from the typical/ Popuar breeds you should be Just fine [​IMG]

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I think most of the BYC'ers have mixed flocks and thats no problem. I would just suggest you not get a crested breed like Polish and mix it with non-crested breeds. They have a tendency to pick the crest feathers and it can kill them.

4. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    in my one coop is an americana, a 3 sizzles and 2 ducks.

in coop 2 are 3 marans, 3 JG's, 6 Lt brama's, a leghorn, silkies, a cochin, and mutts. they are all together. the breeds tend to stay together, but that is because i got them at different times...but none of them fight except the yard roo and the JG roo.

I think if they are all growing up together, you're fine. I have had babies mushed together from birth from all different breeds, and they were fine.

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a mixed flock of... 4 soon to be 5 breeds and they are all fine together. Are you thinking of getting all standards or standards and bantams?

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I mix breeds, sizes, and species!

7. typercy

Nov 28, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:Standards. I'm set on Rhode Island Red and Barred Plymouth Rock. Looking for two other breeds that will integrate well.

8. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Try the Black Australorps, their docile and laying machines!

9. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    my BR's and RIR get along wonderfully. i want to get a bator and hatch their mutt babies actually bc i think they would be so stink adorable.

10. typercy

Nov 28, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:I really like that idea. Any problem with getting three chicks on Feb 12 and then one Black Australorp on Feb 24? Looks like where I get my chicks they won't have all the breeds I want in the same week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by