Apr 16, 2020
Hi, last monday i hatched out a black rock x silkie. We are judging it’s a he from the defined comb and way he struts around aulready. We did have 12 eggs but the broody decided she was bored of them and we were left with 4 that hadn’t been mauled. 2 pipped internally but unfortunately nothing happened (there was a lot of funk remaining from the other eggs so that could have been why). We did however hatch our beautiful little baby, we later brought 2 warren hybrid chicks home for him to be friends with. There was a bit of argy bargy but all are getting in great now. I was originally going to give them to a friend and put our little chick with my other hens, however i’ve grown very fond of them and now want to keep them all together. Will big breeds like that be ok with smaller breeds as i also have a range of bantams and they’d be all together?

Hi, last monday i hatched out a black rock x silkie. We are judging it’s a he from the defined comb and way he struts around aulready. We did have 12 eggs but the broody decided she was bored of them and we were left with 4 that hadn’t been mauled. 2 pipped internally but unfortunately nothing happened (there was a lot of funk remaining from the other eggs so that could have been why). We did however hatch our beautiful little baby, we later brought 2 warren hybrid chicks home for him to be friends with. There was a bit of argy bargy but all are getting in great now. I was originally going to give them to a friend and put our little chick with my other hens, however i’ve grown very fond of them and now want to keep them all together. Will big breeds like that be ok with smaller breeds as i also have a range of bantams and they’d be all together?
Space isn’t an issue as i built the run myself and it has room for all of them. I could also extend it if needed.

Large fowl and bantam chickens can get along provided everyone's personalities mesh well. I'd just keep an eye on things as they mature and have a back up plan in case they do not.

Back
Top Bottom