Different colored eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buster, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'd like to have a colorful egg basket. I'm planning on getting some Ameraucanas and Marans in the spring. Does anyone have any other suggestions for different colors?

2. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    You have Speckled Sussex already?? What color are they laying?

Edited to add:
    My Australorp lays a "brown" egg, but it has an almost purple tint to it. I can always tell hers from the other girls. If I look hard enough [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'm not sure what color the speckled sussex are laying. I'm not sure if they have yet. I got these hens from a friend 2 days ago and although the eggs are close to the same size, the lighter ones are a little smaller and the darker ones are a little larger, but I don't know if they're from the PR, NHR, or the SS. I am planning on Australorps in the spring as well so it's good to know their eggs are a different tint as well. My wife wants some White leghorns too because she likes her x-large eggs.

What color do the Speckled Sussex usually lay?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Try Welsumers too. They lay very dark brown eggs.

5. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:Well, according to Henderson's breed chart, they're creamy white. But I've heard some people say theirs lay a brown egg.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'm fairly sure that the SS are laying brown. I have 4 of them out of 10 hens and got 7 eggs in 24 hours and all 7 were brown. The EE hasn't dropped one yet so it's really 4 out of 9.
    Thanks for the tip on Welsummers, I'll have to look them up as well.

I just looked up Welsummers and I like the looks of their eggs, the chickens don't look bad either. I'll look some more into them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got welsummers as well as marans, and they lay more consistantly than my marans. I like the marans temprement better tho.....sometimes my welsummers have been a little more flighty when they're younger.

8. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    My speckled sussex (before she ran away with a fox) laid what I'd call a"tinted" egg--not white, but not brown--just a little color. Almost looked a liitle pink-ish to me. Would look very nice next to dark brown and blue-green!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by