Different Coloring

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by enggass, May 12, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I have 3 BR that are one week old. Feathers are coming in on wings and even starting on Tails. 2 of them I can already see the tell-tale patterning of a BR(black feathers with white tips). The 3rd has mostly black wings at this point, no white tips. Also, the white spot on his head is less pronounced than the other two. More blended. Is this a sign of anything at the early age? I know I'm jumping the gun, just wondering what others have experienced or noticed.

Edit: I have also noticed some different coloring, dark spots, on the beak... Anyone? any ideas?
    Steve

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I know it's early, but any takers? wagers?
    S

3. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Umm, I'm not sure what your question is exactly. Are you trying to determine the gender of your chicks? If so, observing my Partridge Rocks, the pullets generally develop their feathers a little faster, particularly their tail feathers, but that's not uniformly true. What is true is the comb develops much faster on the cockerels, while most of my hens still have very small combs even at 6 weeks.

I have one Dominique chick, here he is at day one. I'm posting these photos because Doms and BR's are very similarly colored.
    [​IMG]

Now at 5.5 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    I have two BR chicks that are a week old as well. I have the same thing going on. One chick has the barred pattern on her wing feathers, and is slightly larger. The other has only black feathers coming out and a black stripe on her beak. The feathers are the same length, but she is a little smaller. She seems a bit more flighty as well. I have been wondering if she is a BR too?

5. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:Ditto... that's what I'm saying. BR? BR Cockerel?

6. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Are there any BR lovers out there that could help us out?

7. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

BR's aren't color differentiated according to sex at one week as far as I know, the comb development is the best was to tell them apart. Each of my 26 PR's were slightly different, developed their feathers at different rates and so forth. I have one that is very far behind the rest, and about half the size of his/her flock mates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by