Different combs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I was just out feeding the chicks and noticed I have 3 with single combs and 3 with rose combs. I was told one was a cockerel so here's hoping 5 or pullets. With the 3 and 3 I guess that mean the rooster not the hen is dominate. [​IMG] Or either 3 of the eggs was from the GLW hen. Man I hope so.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I'll go through a simple version of combs. There are basically two genes that control what the comb will look like, the Pea gene and the Rose gene. Yours don't have the Pea gene, so lets simplify and ignore that, other than to say a Single comb means the chicken does not have either a Pea or a Rose. And a Rose comb also means that the chicken does not have a Pea gene either, because Rose and Pea together make a Walnut comb.

The Rose comb gene is not sex dependent. Both roosters and hens have two copies of the gene and may give either copy to their chicks. If the chicken just has one copy of the Rose gene, the chicken will be Rose combed. So if your rooster is Single-combed and the Wyandotte is the only hen you have that is Rose combed, then those three chicks with the Rose comb came from the Wyandotte hen.

3. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    You pretty much understood what I was getting at. I just thought all the eggs I had under the hen was BO eggs with the Wyandotte rooster. So evidently I had some of the Wyandotte's eggs when I didn't know it.

Thanks.

4. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Congratulations. Now you've got me totally confused. Not that it is that hard to do, but I am on my third cup of coffee this morning.

Wyandottes should have rose combs. If one gene for rose comb is present, you should not see a single comb. It does not mater if the gene comes from the father or the mother.

If the only rooster you have is a pure Wyandotte, then all of his offspring should show the rose comb. It does not matter if the mother is single combed or rose combed. All his offspring will have a rose comb gene and show it.

So I see two possibilities. You might have another rooster you are not telling us about. A rooster that is single combed.

Your Wyandotte Rooster may not be pure for the rose comb. I'm assuming his comb looks Rose. Right? If his comb does not look Rose, then he is not contributing any rose genes and all this is wrong. Go back to my first post.

But if he is split for the Rose comb, which means he has one rose gene and one not-rose gene, and he is mated with a single combed hen, about half his offspring should have the rose comb and half should not. So if he is split, then it is highly likely that all the eggs under her were BO eggs since you thought all of them were. That would make sense.

5. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    When I bought the chickens I have. I purchased the cockerel and a hatch mate of his as GLW. The gentleman I bought them from got them all from McMurrays hatchery so his knowledge only goes that far. So I supposed it could be a mix up but it would have to be from the hatchery. So then from what you are telling me, this rooster is not a pure GLW but something else is mixed in. Now I have to wonder what it would take to have a pure line. There is so much rooster mixing it probably is nearly impossible to have it.

At any rate I have 3 single combs and 3 rose combs chicks. How could I find a pure line GLW?

Thanks Ridgerunner.

6. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That is a hard one. I don't know anything about how McMurray selects their breeding birds, but I do know there is a lot of difference in quality in the birds from different hatcheries. You have different people selecting the breeding flock. Naturally you get different results.

I don't know if you want show quality or not. I got this name and contact information from the Wyandotte Breeders of America web page. If you contact Kent, he would probably know where you could find some decent Gold Laced, maybe within driving distance. They may be pricy from a breeder or they may not. I don't know Kent at all but it will cost you a phone call or an email to find out.

District 5: (TN, MS, AL, FL, SC, NC, GA, Bermuda). Kent Baumgardner, 11170 Ruden Road, North Ft. Myers, FL 33917-5561. Phone: 239-731-1345. Email: [email protected]

Another option is to go on the Georgia thread in the Where am I? Where are you? section of this forum and see if anyone there can help you. I don't know what your goals are or what quality you are really after, but your best bet to get a good quality GLW that meets the SOP is to get one from someone that is breeding for those qualities. Some hatcheries are not going to be that bad, but none of them that are mass producing the birds are going to give you the quality you can get from a breeder that knows what they are doing and that specializes in that breed.

There is another point. Different hatcheries have different people selecting their breeding birds so you get different results. Every breeder out there is different from every other breeder. Some are good and some are not. I don't buy into that mystique that just because someone calls themselves a breeder they really are. If you talk to someone and explain what you are after, you can probably get a good idea of where they stand.

Good luck!!

7. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Thanks for all your help. Mainly what I'm looking for is a hen and rooster that would pass on good traits of the breed. No interest in showing. No time for that, but I would like a quality chicken. The main thing is the egg I get from the hen is a grade A large and her temperament is just so laid back. I really like this breed.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by