Different Grits...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shkittles, May 9, 2009.

1. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 9 week olds and 3 week old chick and i will be putting them out in the shed tomorrow and were wondering once the older ones are 10 weeks old they're supposed to be fed Chicken Grit. But the little ones are supposed to have Chick grit. We have both but they all would have access to the grit. I but the grit at Tractor Supply.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1. Should we just feed them all chick grit until the little ones are old enough for the adult grit?
    2. or should we find a way to separate the grit?
    3. Could i feed the 9 week olds the Chicken grit since they're basically 10 weeks old?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  2. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    i would do the chick grit

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The little ones are DEFINITELY going to need the chick sized grit so get the small size.

Honestly, if you put a dish of both sizes mixed together I bet they would pick out the size that they needed if they could scratch around in it. I put the grit in their sand/dust box and they seem to like scratching it out.

4. lovelychicken

lovelychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Can you possibly show the grit of both?...id like to know also as I have a bag of it that feed store gave me book looks to large.

5. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well right now i'm all out of the chick grit and both of the TSC's by me are sold out right now so we're going to go the the feed store and see if they have the chick grit. i don't have any of Chicken grit yet either.

6. lovelychicken

lovelychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    One of my week old was freaking out. I had paper towels over the pine shavings to keep the day old from eating it and the chick was thrashing the litter from under it and then eating the shavings like mad. I am wondering if she is trying to compensate for not having the grit so today I put the grit (dont know if its for chicks or older ones) in the food and on the floor and I havnt seen her do that again.

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    As long as your birds are on crumble the feeding of grit isn't an issue. It's only once that they start get "solid" food like seeds and cracked corn. I would use the chick grit for all.

8. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Mine seem to ignore the grit and eat plain old dirt that I give them in a small container. Is this bad?

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    In the wild that's what they would do. They instinctively know which to use for their needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by