Different growth rates???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nerfworthy, Apr 4, 2018.

1. nerfworthy

nerfworthy Songster

Mar 29, 2018
    South Western Idaho
    Hi All! I have a mixed batch of baby chicks and I've been somewhat active on here with them. I took this pic 2 days ago, and I was curious if anyone knew why my silver wyandotte chicks are SO much tinier than my buff orpington and new hampshire reds! They are a bit younger by a few days to maybe a week but I feel like they've barely grown at all. They seem healthy, active, eating, drinking, etc normally. Do wyandotte just grow slower?

Attached Files:

2. SavKel&RynKel

SavKel&RynKel Free Ranging

Mar 16, 2018
    Bay Area, California
    My Coop
    Are you positive of the ID? Where did you get them from?

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Could they be bantams?

4. nerfworthy

nerfworthy Songster

Mar 29, 2018
    South Western Idaho
    Maybe? There were also tubs full of bantams close by. It's possible they could have been mixed up.

D&B Supply, it's similar to Tractor Supply.

5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut

Quite likely then. People pick up, coo at them, and then just put them where ever, not remembering where they got them from.

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    Those look like bantams.

7. nerfworthy

nerfworthy Songster

Mar 29, 2018
    South Western Idaho
    Well crap. LOL. I wanted all full-size chickens. I was starting to worry they were stunted or something, but I think you guys might be right. Will they be fine as adults with all my orpingtons?

funnyfoshay likes this.
  8. SavKel&RynKel

SavKel&RynKel Free Ranging

Mar 16, 2018
    Bay Area, California
    My Coop
    Totally agree. This is a common problem with buying from feed stores.

9. I have the SAME exact thing happening! I bought 6 chicks... all a week or so old - from a reputable farm. I have 2 Black Australorps, 2 Reds, - but also, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte & 1 Buff Orpington. The Gold Wyandotte & the Buff Orpington are 1/3 the size of the others now... even after 6 weeks. The farm where I got them said Wyandottes tend to be "late bloomers". My Buff Orpington is also small, but all 6 are on the same food, eating, drinking, pooping and energy is all good. For good measure, I take my 2 smaller ones (the gold laced wyandotte & buff orpington) and every few days I give them a little Nutridrench... just to help them along.

nerfworthy likes this.
  10. FullHouseMama

FullHouseMama In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    These are the biggest of my chicks and the smallest. They are a week apart but still the size difference is crazy! The big one is a Brahma and IDK what the little one is because I ordered “surprise” pullets. She is smaller than all of the chicks she came with. 277CC829-7CF6-41FF-8D1C-285233C9A528.jpeg

nerfworthy and SavKel like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: