DIFFERENT HATCH DATES!!!??? HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sacramento, Oct 25, 2013.

1. sacramento

sacramento Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    Colorado
    I have 5 eggs, all hatching different dates, they are in an incubator with an egg turner. its one of the bigger styrofoam hova bators. I have a chick hatching soon, but i don't know what I can do! This is my first hatch using a bator!!! EEK! [​IMG]

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    just relax. I have chicks in my bator 3 days from hatching and 2 weeks from hatching. the extra fluids in the later hatch eggs will help the hatching eggs. you might turn off the turner until your first batch is hatched. good luck!

3. sacramento

Jul 14, 2013
    Colorado
    I am gone the day(s) it is hatching... but I have family coming over to take care of it. I have specific instructions for them too. Will it be okay?

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I'm sure they will do just fine.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How much difference is there in hatch dates? Chicken eggs don’t need to be turned after 14 days of incubation. If they are fairly close together you may be able to just take that turner out and get it out of the way. That not only makes clean-up easier but it removes corners and such where a chick just might get a leg, wing, or neck trapped, especially if the turner is still moving. It’s not that a chick is guaranteed to get trapped or hurt if the turner is still in there. I think getting the turner out of there is a good thing if you can do it.

Another possible concern is that when the chicks hatch, they are messy. They can crawl over the other eggs and smear them with fluids. That’s not a problem if hatch date is pretty close together but that stuff might (not necessarily absolutely will, but might) give bacteria a good place to grow and infect the unhatched eggs.

Since you have a large Hovabator with turner (I assume the turner is the same type I have) there is a fairly easy solution to both these possibilities, even if the hatch dates are fairly far apart. Remove all but one of the turner trays, leaving one on the end. Fashion a basket with an open top out of hardware cloth or get those plastic mesh cups that can be inverted over the eggs. Put the eggs that are getting ready to hatch under that basket. That will keep the hatched chicks away from the turner and keep them from messing up the eggs with late hatch dates.

I think the odds of anything bad happening are reasonably small even if you don’t do anything special. I just think that basket idea will help improve your odds a little. But I do recommend getting that turner out as soon as you can. It just makes it easier with the turner out of the way.

Good luck with it, but next time start them all at the same time. It makes it less stressful.

6. sacramento

Jul 14, 2013
    Colorado
    They are on day 14, 8,7,6,and 4. the last two I candled and are not looking very developed, and they are very porus, but I am leaving them until day 7 or 8 so i can see if there are any veins.

7. SassysMom

SassysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    western WA state
    Okay, this is my first hatch and I'm a lot more nervous with this than I was with my human kids being born!

I have only one hen ( LF) English Dk. Blue Orpington) who is laying fertilized eggs right now. She lays one approximately 36 hrs. apart. So far I have 3-- 1st one laid on 1/31, 2nd one on 2/2 and the 3rd one on 2/4. If the hen keeps this schedule, I'll have a 4th egg tomorrow afternoon.

I'm using the Brinsea Mini Advanced incubator and it's set up and everything is accurate. Do I put my first 3 eggs in now? With the humidity? Can I add the next 3 eggs she lays as I get them? If the first one hatches at 21 days, do I take it out, or leave it in for awhile?

Yikes! I bred giant rare breed dogs for 15 years with litters between 10 and 13 and never had a problem. Now I'm almost afraid to breathe, worrying about if I do something wrong. I've read everything I can get my hands on, but haven't been able to fine a clear schedule for the eggs that are already laid being put in the incubator (they are in storage at 60 degrees and I turn them every 2-3 hours, manually.

I know there are a lot of experts on here. Please help me get these little ones off to the best start I can[​IMG]

Thank you!
    Connie

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

I waited until I got as many as I wanted and then put them in all at the same time. A fertilized chicken egg can last up to 7 days after being laid and still hatch out.

9. SassysMom

SassysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    western WA state
    Thank you! That is exactly what I did. I set the eggs last night and now I get to wait. The oldest egg was 7 days old. Now I get to just stand and watch the incubator lol

I really appreciate your responding!

10. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your welcome! When they hatch out you should put pics up of them. I want to see the little fluffballs! [​IMG] I have chicks ordered from Cackle Hatchery that should come the 21st of this month and it's so hard to wait for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by