different hatch dates

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I have went overboard with the eggs. I have chicks due on Monday the 28th, turkies due a week after that and 2 batches of guinea eggs w/ the last ones going in 2 days ago. Will the other eggs be okay w/ raising the humidity? Should I put the others in cartons and turn them that way?

2. silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    I asked a simular question a few weeks ago. I got mixed reviews on what to do. So I went and bough the LG incubator from Tractor Supply just for my hatch days. I didnt want to risk it.

3. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I made the same mistake and I wouldn't do it again. [​IMG] I think its the reason I lost a few eggs and perhaps and entire hatch.

I highly recommend you get another incubator. If that is not possible money wise, you can make your own incubator. They have the skillet one which works great and even a Styrofoam cooler method. You can find these online or look through the search on this forum.

Whatever you do, don't keep them together. You will risk your hatch when you open an incubator to turn the others.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It really isn't a good idea to mix all of those eggs with different hatching dates. You have time to build a homemade incubator/hatcher.

Raising the humidity for some can cause developmental damage in others. Also the difference in days of incubation when the eggs hatch and the biological material is left in the incubator it can cause bacteria or fungus to grow which could infect the other eggs. After every hatch an incubator should be disinfected and sanitized.

In my signature line is a link for one of my homemade incubators you could try to build to use for hatching.

Or you could try to borrow another incubator.

5. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I knew MissPrissy would come to aid. She has great plans for homemade incubators. Very crafty and innovative. [​IMG]

6. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Well I went and bought another bator. I was going to do a homemade one but I figured this will give me a reason to hatch even more [​IMG] One of my good friends asked me why I want to hatch more. I told her it's like having Christmas every few weeks. With the barnyard mixes you never know what your getting. I am thinking about going over and raiding her coop for eggs [​IMG] She has some pretty EE. Wow maybe there is something wrong w/ me? I am going to have to get a job just to pay for the chick feed. [​IMG]

If all goes well [​IMG] we should have 18 chickie babies by Monday [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by