Different incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alleyoops25, May 31, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    My brother had given me two incubators last week and I start three dozen eggs in one last night. However I don't think it is turning the eggs. we marked it to see if it is turning and marked the eggs and it isn't turning at all. Any Ideas. The other incubator I had gotten from him looks like it was the first ever invented incubator. I am kind of leaning against not using it. I also have a little giant and I have been using it. My husband and daughter think I should try all three and see which one I hatch the most eggs out of. I am posting some pictures to see what you guys think, and any suggestions you might have. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
  3. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks I would hate to have to turn all those eggs by hand. I can hardly every thing done in a day, House cleaning, dinner, luandry, Kids home schooled, nursing baby, screaming kids, etc. I would be lucky to deal with all of that plus turning eggs several times a day. But I may have to if I can't figure out how to fix this incubator.

4. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Is there any body still using an incubator like the one in the last picture. If so how well does it work?

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
  6. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    This one did turn when my brother used it. He bought it to incubate some pheasant eggs that his wife had found when they were plowing a field, Instead of running the eggs over the would stop the tractor and save the eggs. However after he was done with it I think it got tossed into a storage shed and had stuff piled on top of it. Only used once. However I am not mechanically inclined and am kind of just winging it and hoping i get it right.

7. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    I've used one of those old metal ones like pictured in the 2nd picture. I got it from a guy on freecycle. It worked very well. very simple straight forward incubator. I did have to hand turn the eggs in it of course, but I just rolled them with my hand 3 times a day.
    I hatched several batches in that old bator, until one day I got the shock of my life. Literally! The old thing had developed a short in the wiring and when I touched it I got a terrible shock. All the eggs hatched fine-but I was worried how much of a shock they had gotten [​IMG] None apparently. But I was scared every time I had to touch it-until they hatched. That was the last time I used it.

8. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I haven't plugged this old thing in yet. Getting shocked was one of my fears with it. I dont even know if it works.

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    With the Brower Top Hatch, the one where all the eggs are, it turns very slowly. There is a clutch sort of thing on the bottom and it fits into a groove on the tub. It revolves very slowly and the eggs bump against the spokes on the wheel placed inside the tub. Make sure the plastic rod is firmly inserted into the groove on the bottom of the tub. It does not seem like it is turning but after a while if you are near by you will hear the eggs moving. You should hear a whirring noise that is the motor that turns the clutch. If you have problems look up Brower on the web and get the phone number they have very nice techs and can help you.

10. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone, I ended up moving the eggs to a different incubator because I am totally sure it isn't moving. My husband has taken it apart and is tinkering with it. I am going to give him all of your advice so that he might be able to fix it. Now my question is does the whole tub move or just some thing inside? My husband seems to know but I am totally confused,( Blonde) :pAny way thanks for the information and we will be using it..I will tell you if he gets it going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by