Different kind of crop question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sj3364, Jun 27, 2011.

1. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    One of my chicks has her crop way up in her neck. Has anyone seen this before? It never gets as large as a normal crop would located on their chest but is does get big and make a lump on her neck. Will she be able to eat enough when she's grown? She is going on 3 weeks old now.

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Feel her crop. Try to massage it. I was worried about my chickens crops to when they get crazy huge. Check tomorrow and see if it gets better.

3. sj3364

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Her crop goes fills and empties. I'm just worried that it is located in an abnormal place and therefore is much smaller than a normal crop and that she won't be able to eat enough to support herself once she is full grown. She does seem to be growing normally. I guess I'll just see what happens. I was just hoping someone has seen this and would be able to tell me she'll be just fine. I just worry about my babies.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Will you have feed available at all times? If so, I wouldn't breed her but otherwise not worry about it. The crop allows them to gorge themselves when food is plentiful but if food is always plentiful, it shouldn't inhibit her growth to have a small crop.

5. sj3364

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks! That makes me feel better. I do have food for them all the time and I don't have a rooster so don't do any breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by