Different kinds of poultry living around chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by coquus71, Jan 28, 2016.

1. coquus71

coquus71 New Egg

Sep 20, 2015
    I wanted to get some turkeys to add to my flock but I have read chickens can transmit blackhead(a type of parasite) to turkeys and can kill them. I have seen many farm and backyard flocks with different poultry, I am wondering if anyone has had experience with raising different types of birds together or is that for a big operation to worry about. Thanks for your comments

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome To BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Blackhead aka Histomoniasis is an abnormal tissue growth on the liver caused by a protozoa (abnormal protein) that can be carried by some parasites. Blackhead can kill either species, just easier to kill turkey than a chicken. It's more of a free range thing not a size thing. If you have two separate species penned together usually the larger species is dominant and sometimes will bully the other if not enough space. I've seen many people have free range chickens, ducks, turkeys, guinea, quail, pheasant, peafowl, and other species run around on a farm.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Birdbrain has already answered your question, so I'll just say hi.

All the best

CT

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I have no experience with turkeys (other than the ones we've had for Thanksgiving [​IMG]) so I'll just say hello!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] I have experience only with a small flock of hens.

But found an older discussion about mixed poultry getting along : post #1
    They don't address disease issues, but thought it would interest you.

Many folks who have turkeys also have chickens. You could post the question under the Turkey forums and may get some insight into how prevalent blackhead risk might be?

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, you might want to post on the "Turkey thread," to get responses from folks who should know.

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by