Different kinds of quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Sep 27, 2010.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I've just gotten bitten by the quail addiction this year. I have about 75 Courtnix, about 40 buttons and 1 bobwhite that just hatched a few days ago.

My question is this....what kinda of quial do you have and what breeds do you suggest??? It is fall buy sell trades in my area and i'd love to add a breed or two.

Thanks

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have bobwhites, i recommend then for hunting, courtornix for eggs, an buttons for pets.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

jack & mommy's duckies :

I've just gotten bitten by the quail addiction this year. I have about 75 Courtnix, about 40 buttons and 1 bobwhite that just hatched a few days ago.

My question is this....what kinda of quial do you have and what breeds do you suggest??? It is fall buy sell trades in my area and i'd love to add a breed or two.

Thanks

i have only coturnix. i hope to learn more about color mutations and breeding them for that....​

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    jack & mommy's duckies :

Thanks

75 coturnix sounds good to me! 40 Buttons...they are a personal preference, I just don't have any.

Like mhwc56, I only have coturnix, but would never poo poo anyone's preference in a game bird. It's just a matter of what you want from your birds, and avoiding the "hype".
    Coturnix works for me, because they fit my basic style of bird raising. I'm pretty much a one trick pony in the quail department.

My only suggestion for expansion would be to...get your lone bobwhite a companion. [​IMG]

5. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    I only have buttons. I love them! So cute, and i love the different colours i get. I dont know much about any other quail tho...

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have 100+ coturnix (I use them for eggs and color mutations) , 100+ adult button quail (eggs and color mutations, sell pairs), 10 Bobwhite (was 40 but predators...) used for eggs, 20 Valley quail (eggs)

7. MCM37

MCM37 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    how many eggs can one pair a bobwhite produce in a year. on average.

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    What do you mean by recommending Bobwhites for hunting Toby10?

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Most people release them to hunt, but i use them for pets and 4-H!![​IMG]

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:ahh, I see

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by