different medications in feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stoneeater, May 13, 2011.

1. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    My local feed store is switching feed suppliers. I had been giving my chickens the medicated feed that contains the ampro something. It's made by FRM. They're switching to Seminole brand feed and it appears to contain 2 medicines. Ampro and something that begins with a "B". Is this going to mess with my chickens or will they not even notice.

2. stoneeater

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Anyone know?

3. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    The "B" is probably Bacitracin (BMD), an antibiotic often added to feed as a preventative and to improve feed conversion. Personally, I dislike the needless use of antibiotics, but it won't actually hurt the chicks. How old are they?

http://www.drugs.com/vet/bmd-30.html

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If they're over 6 weeks old, I would see if your feed store carries a grower ration. Grower feed should not contain the meds. Switching feeds can upset their tummy and feed consumption. I would suggest you get your new feed and start blending it in slowly, so they start adjusting to it.

5. stoneeater

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    That was my concern, getting upset stomachs from the new med. Their ages range from 12 weeks down to about 7 weeks. The Aussies are the youngest and they've been outside for about 3 weeks now. I've asked about just straight grower unmedicated feed and the feedstore swears that it doesn't exist. You go from chick starter to to layer. Nothing in between. I have to make a 20 mile roundtrip today to get them the same feed they're used to. At least I'll be supporting the store that hosts the local monthly swap.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You might want to call around or check online for a TSC and other feed store in your area. I used to go to the small, local feed store and when they said something didn't exist, TSC a few miles away had the non-existent product.

hinkjc is correct, start out blending feeds whenever you switch, makes it much easier for the chickens.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Unwarranted and indiscriminate use of ant-biotics is a bad practice, both in animal husbandry and the human population, imho.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Most feed Co.'s will use one of two types of medications in there chick starter as a active ingredient in there medicated poultry feed one type is,
    Amprolium which goes by the trade names Corid and Amprovine, Amprolium, Amprol, Anticoccid and is a thiamine analog, competitively inhibits the active transport of thiamine (B1).
    The second type of medication used is,
    Lasalocid goes by the trade name Bovatec. Bovatec (lasalocid) is a coccidiocide that kills coccidia. It is an ionophore that moves potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium into the cell causing the cell to burst. Bovatec works primarily on a single developmental stage of coccidia, providing a more narrow range of action than Deccox.

Edited to post -
    I looked at FRM feed and this is what I found,

FRM CHICK STARTER CRUMBLES MEDICATED
    A complete feed, high energy ration, medicated to help prevent Coccidiosis in chickens and turkeys. Feed as the sole ration.
    Active Drug Ingredient: Amprolium..........0.0125%
    FRM START 'N' GROW CRUMBLES MEDICATED
    A complete feed medicated to prevent Coccidiosis in chicks and pullets. Feed as the sole ration.
    Active Drug Ingredient: Amprolium...... 0.0125%
    FRM 15% GROWER CRUMBLES MEDICATED
    A high energy ration, complete feed medicated with Bacitracin to aid in growth and feed conversation for growing and finishing chickens.
    ACTIVE DRUG INGREDIENT: Bacitracin..... 25 gm/ton

Chris

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. stoneeater

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Just did my long journey in search of chick starter. It's actually 47 miles round trip.
    Figured I would go to TSC while I was out that way. That would be a 70 mile round trip. They do have the grower but only in 50 lb. bags of Purina.
    It's a good thing that I really love my chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by