Different Question about a lighted coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aje127, Nov 21, 2016.

1. aje127

aje127 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2013
    I know the "coop Lighting" question has been gone over and over again and again, but I have a question that I'm not sure about. I know that some people say "give the girls a break in the winter time" by never putting a light in the coop. I had just gotten a new batch of girls, and decided when they were a couple of months old, I would let this group be totally natural and in sync with the day and night. Well, when I turned off the light, I went out to check on them and they were all crowded around the coop door where they could see the light coming from the house. It seems to me they prefer the light. Now this group won't start laying until late Dec early Jan. Should I let them keep this light until next year? I just want to make sure my "employees" (chickens) are happy, and not over worked.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Younger birds often stay out too late and than are frightened to go into a dark coop. Some will use a nightlight, I always just go out and round them up before dusk, until they are mature enough to do it on their own.

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Good advice there. :thumbsup

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I have two coops. I light one and leave the other dark. My hens pick where they prefer to roost. Some consistently pick the lighted coop and vice versa. I do get some cross over, and a few roost in the rafters of the barn. So, it seems some may prefer the light and others not.

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hello there! [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chances are it's just the change(turning off the light) that they are reacting to and they should get used to the new change within a week.
    Curious tho.....what was the duration and usage of the light before you turned it off?
    If they are not of age lay yet, even without a light they will probably start laying after the winter solstice, they may lay sooner with a light.

That inconsistency, for some of the birds, is going to give very skewed results if your intention is to light for winter production.

Winter lighting works best if applied carefully:
    Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  8. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Thanks Aart - since most of them are molting (other than my 5 younger pullets that have reached the point of lay), egg production from these birds is moot anyway. They look positively ragged, poor things. The pullets are the ones that like the lighted coop, so it works out most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by