different roo this time and different symptoms......need "HELP" ASAP

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Well as most of you know I have had a sick BR roo. Well he is better and back with his girls.

I also have a pen with WCBP roos and 1 hen.They are a good bit away from the BR pen. Well yesterday afternoon I noticed that he was laying down alote with his head on the ground. So I went in the pen and made him move around and he did. As long as I made him move he would, but just soon as I would leave the pen he would go back and lay down again. He didn't go to roost last night with the others, so I put him up there. Well this morning I go out to check on him and he is laying down still and when I go in the pen he doesn't bother to get up. I have since brought him inside and put him in the "emergency room". He act's like he is drunk. Really Drunk. He will not eat or drink. I have been giving him some vitamins and electrolytes through a syringe. I also gave him some warm mash that I had to put in his mouth and make him it. I took him outside to see if he would stand up but he can't. I have checked him over from head to toe. I can not find anything wrong. No drainage any where, and his poo looks normal. He is acting totally different then the other roo did.

DO I start antibotics? Do I do the molasses flush? Do I treat the other's in his pen? HELP!!

Almost forgot: I feed them laying mesh and chick starter combined. He is 20wks old. The coop floor is dirt, but it was part of my yard that I fenced off. I keep it raked all the time.

Last edited:
barnyard, is it at all possible that he could have eaten something he should not have eaten? A toxic plant, car fluids, unusual people food, insecticide, anything?

Well I know he hasn't gotten into any car fluid, because he stay's in the backyard. I haven't gave them any table scraps yet so that is a no. The only thing possible is a plant of some sort. They stay in a pen most of the time. I did let them out thursday to free range though and then it was yesterday that I noticed him acting sick, so I guess it is possible that he ate something that he shouldn't have. I have already started him on the molasses flush, but I am having to feed him through a syringe so it is gonna be really hard to get it down him.

based on symptoms, it also sounds to me like he ate something he shouldn't have. but that being said, i don't know what to suggest to try to give him to make him feel better.

maybe someone else will post for you?

good luck.

Thanks Ohchick...... I hope someone will come around soon to help me out. I am not sure if this little guy is gonna make it....
hit.gif

barnyard, you are in Georgia - - have any pokeweed coming into berries down there? I have read they are toxic to chickens.

? just a shot in the dark ~ could still be something else, so keep researching.

Jen in TN

What in the world is a pokeweed berry? Yes I am in Georgia...... let me search and see what that looks like.

Ok I have looked it up and now I am off to make sure there is none in my yard.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom