1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Different size nest boxes??????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kmac1, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma
    I have guineas, Bramahas, RIR and bantams. Should I make the bantams a smaller nest box lower to the ground. I have 3 which are 14x14x12 18" high. Thanks Willie

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I wouldn't bother. They should be able to get up there and use the nest boxes you have just fine. [​IMG]

3. ramsburgchicken

ramsburgchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    We absolutely have nesting boxes of various sizes, as we found RIR eggs on the floor and the RIRs and BRs would rip the silkies out of their boxes by their crests, just to find the nesting area wasn't big enough to their liking anyway. [​IMG] Hubby built 2nd nesting area with 3 more boxes twice as large. I recycled a covered kitty litter box and it fits a silkie and a RIR or one BR. That's a favorite. Recycled two larger old washtubs that only the RIRs use. Recycled old wooden bin (favorite of all breeds), and we even recycled our recycling bins! They're the perfect height for the girls to lay in and super easy to clean. That's another favorite of our RIR and BRs. Here's some pics:

Silkie boxes. Occasionally we'll have a smaller sized RIR lay in them.
    [​IMG]

Larger nesting boxes for RIR and BRs
    [​IMG]

Recycled wooden bin. Our roosters like to flop around in it and show their girls that it's a cool place to lay eggs. That's what Qtip is doing here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  4. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma

I will wait and see what happens they are not ready to lay quite yet, it won't be long though. Thanks

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are those your nests in your avatar?
    They look nice...... perch out front, bit of a lip to keep bedding and eggs inside nest, nicely sized for your big girls and the bantams should be fine with them.

Make sure your roost is higher than your nests, so they don't get in the habit of roosting(sleeping) in the nests.

6. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Yes they are. My coop wasn't finished and the nesting boxes were waiting to be hung and being inspected by the new tenants. They are 18" from the floor and my roost is 36" from the floor. [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds good!
    Nests look good too...tho you might have to put and angled board on the flat top of nests if they start to perch or roost there.
    How big is coop(feet by feet)?
    Is that real sod/grass on the 'floor'?

8. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Thanks I have already covered the top of the nest boxes with plywood. My coop is 14x7 sitting right on the ground/grass. I still have some work to do on it, like cover the outside with tin, insulate and close up the interior.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by