Different sized brooder...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rschunk, May 5, 2009.

1. rschunk

rschunk Out Of The Brooder

Been checking the boards her and there and a lot of you seem to be using the 36 quart plastic bins for brooders.

I went to the local Big Lots this evening looking and they just seemed way to small for 10 to 12 chicks. At least when you get a feeder and waterer in with them.

So I bought a 106 quart Sterilite with wheels. I suppose it is designed for under the bed storage. It's 40x30x7 high.

I think it's big enough but I'm wondering about height although the 36
    quarters were not any deeper.

How long will it take chicks to reach the size where they will be scraping heads on the screen topping??? Or will they be in feathers before that and I can move them to the regular coop?

Any input will be appreciated.

Ron

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    You could alway wrap cardboard or something around it to make it taller.

3. rschunk

Now that's a thought glasmom. Thanks for the tip. I've been reading some much on these threads the last week I don't remember what I read where or when. [​IMG]

4. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I know what you mean!

5. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I have a large container as my brooder and my chicks are not jumping out yet...they'll be 3 weeks on Saturday....I'm guessing they'll be alright for another couple weeks...hoping DH will have the coop/run done by their 4 week birthday...we'll see...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    I only have two chicks...no way would I feel comfy putting any more in there...I like them to have plenty of room...if I could I would have had hubby build a BIG brooder for them, but he was out of town when I got the chicks and I had to come up with something on my own...LOL They'll survive until hubby is done building their coop & run [​IMG]

7. rschunk

Ok....I took the plunge....[​IMG]
    Just got back from Tractor Supply with 8 Red Sex Llinks, a waterer, feeder, bale of bedding and 20# of starter feed.

I gave up on the plastic tub (it will go under the bed with something in it.....

They are now residing in a box in my bathtub (figured it would be easier to clean).
    [​IMG]

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:if they have the basics and love, they'll be just fine in the tub, a box, a container, etc... [​IMG]

they are darling!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  9. rschunk

Ok, I did today what I should have done a couple days ago. Build a bigger brooder and put it in the basement.

I scrounged in the barn and came up with some thin plywood and a piece of 2x4.

The brooder measures 2' high x 3' wide x 4' long. I put plastic on the concrete floor first, covered it with newspaper and then pine chips sprinkled with a bit of DE that came in the mail today.

[​IMG]

Here it is....I also found some old fencing in the barn which I put over the top. That was after they started launching themselves around the larger available space.

I had a thermometer in it with the one lamp I used in the bathtub but since the area is larger I had to put a second 100 watt lamp on to bring the heat up. Have to keep checking to make sure it is high enough.

Oh, and I think I've gotten a roo mixed in with the ladies...one of them seems to be a bit larger and his neck sticks out a lot farther.

Have to check around the forum and find out about that.

10. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I think it's better to have too much room than not enough. I have 13 1-1/2 week old chicks that lasted only a week in my rubbermade tote. They just seemed to be on top of each other and I didn't count on the x-tra space being used by the feeder and waterer. I went out and bought a used playpen for $15.00 and they love it! They now have room to run and room to practice their take off and landing-lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by