Different sized pupils

bpirockin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
One of my hens has developed very different sized pupils, with her left one being even in shape but a great deal smaller than the other.
She seems to be more nervous than she used to be, but this could be as a result of having moved and them being in their own area
rather than sharing the whole garden with me as they did. She has not had anything to indicate there might have been a problem with
her eye before this, and seems well in herself.

Any suggestions as to why this might have come about, and if there is anything I can do for her? She does not appear to be blind in that eye, though on closer examination
the pupil has 3 greyer areas that come out like fat spokes. Am investigating the Marek's possibility but as there appears to be nothing else wrong, it's rather hard to be sure.

All ideas/suggestions welcome - thanks. She is around 18 months old, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
The only two things that come to mind are, She got pecked in that eye or Mareks.. The nervousness could be caused by either one.. She may have neurological problems if it were mareks but she may also be skiddish from others attacking her if she is at the bottom of the pecking order.. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a better insight...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Thanks Terri - my goodness you have quite a range of pets. Have never seen/heard of a pitweiller:rolleyes:, all sorts of other crosses appearing over here and people asking crazy money for them:lol:, but have yet to see one of those - got any pics?

Thanks for the ideas, I don't think she's been pecked, though she is a strange one to 'place' in the pecking order. She never seems to rock the boat to be honest, big lump that she is.

Tricia

33603_2011-01-25_110612.jpg

This is a pic of my pitweiler.. her name is Oreo but we nicknamed her Little Face.. Although, she don't have a little face anymore.. lol.. Her daddy is a rottie and her mom is a black and white pit.. She is the most stubborn dog I've ever known.. She knows commands but absolutely refuses to listen.. If you tell her to "go" or "sit", she cocks her head and looks at you like, "Yeah, sure! YOU sit!"
lau.gif

Goddess
jumpy.gif

could she have hit her head or something hit her in the head, I think with a head injury that can affect pupils.. what breed are we talking about here? and could one of the other pecked her on the head? that can cause nerological problems too.

Thanks Miss Lydia and gritsar -

I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen one of the others have a go at this particular chicken. She's a light ssx cross - are some breeds more susceptible to Marek's then?
Having said that, as she has none of the balance issues that present with Marek's and it seemed to be an overnight change, maybe the eye was damaged somehow.

If it is as result of an injury will it settle down and go back to normal?

I think I'll get some hypericum tomorrow and have it ready, and just keep an eye on her for any other changes. I'm going to try and handle them more again, as I did before so that I know if and when anything like this occurs again a potential symptom is exactly that or not. Maggie and Smoky are both fine, but the blue and this one really don't like to be touched. I may have to resort to blackmail of the mealworm nature! It's a little harder for me as I can only really use the one arm, but they did both used to 'go down' occasionally and now just run off. I'll simply have to outwit them
wink.png
!!

Thanks again,
T

p.s. Miss Lydia - may I please live your life? Sounds wonderful.

Last edited:
How long has she been this way? I've seen animals who have had eye injuries develop different sized pupils, and had it happen to myself this past year. It worked itself out within a couple days.

That it your have to out wit them and meal worms work everytime here
wink.png
I've never had to deal with Mareks, and hopefully you aren't either, it she got bumped on the head or peck really hard she might just need some time to recupe, If you have some baby vitamins w/o iron you might try giving her some by dribbling onto her beak.. or adding a few drops in her water. Mareks is usually a disease of younger chickens but thats not saying it can't happen at any age, keep an eye on the rest. Maybe bring her in and keep her separate for a few days and see if it makes a difference. Make sure she's drinking and eating good and her poop looks normal.. Hope she recovers for you...

Back
Top Bottom