Different sized quail eggs??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RainesRanch, Jul 10, 2010.

1. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Nebraska panhandle
    OK, so the quail hens are laying, have been for the last 4 days, and Im collecting eggs on a daily basis. But......Im getting eggs in all sorts of different sizes??? I can understand the different colors and such, but why are they so different in size? Do I need to wait till they are all laying for a few days min before collecting eggs to hatch? I bought a incubator at our local feed store and Im jazzed to start these babies going! LOL Also, do any of you store eggs in a special place while collecting them? I know my basement inst 55 degrees in the summer time so Im kind of nervous that it may be too warm to store them for hatching down there.

2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Sometimes you might wanna wait about 2 weeks after they start laying so youll get better hatch results sometimes when they first start laying the fertility rate is not optimal, and about the size I wouldnt worry about it so much I have coturnix that have been laying for about a month now and I still get different size eggs.
    And about where to storage them becareful not to storage them in a very hot place I left some of mine sit outside for 4 days next thing I know chicks starting to develop.

3. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Nebraska panhandle
    Oh, Ok...so If I maybe ditch these eggs and start saving the eggs at the end of the week that may work out better. There are a few that are super teeny tiny that I just cant believe a chick could/would develop in them. Sort of like with first time layer chickens...those first eggs are sorta below norm on size. At least that will give me time to buy a better temp gauge. These Little Giant bators are still very primitive ! LOL I figured they would have at least added a digital temp with humidity level display on them by now![​IMG] Silly me, huh? [​IMG]

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You Get Different Sizes From Different Birds They Are Individuals Just As We Are--- The Sizes Will Not Become Uniform In 2 Wks Or 2 Mos Or 2 Yrs As Your Hens Are Not All Clones Form 1 Hen Only. The Only Changes That Happen With Egg Production And Time Is Size--- As A Hen Matures She Lays Larger Eggs. Has Nothing To Do With Them Being The Same Size As The Hen Next To Her And Everything To Do That Both Hen's Eggs Will Progressively Get Larger The More They Lay And The Older They Get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by