Different things they will eat?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by clbarley, Sep 26, 2012.

1. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    I am trying to create a list of things that the below animals would eat, I am not saying that I would raise all of them right now but I am looking into raising things to reduce food cost! Any help would be great thanks!

Buckeye and Rhode Island Red Chickens:
    Meal Worm
    Veggies
    Worms
    Snakes
    Mice

Ducks:
    Feeder Fish
    Worms
    Meal Worms
    Veggies

Geese and turkeys I truly do not have anything for these :( Help would be great!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Geese prefer grazing on pasture so a variety of veggies should be fine. The turkeys should be similar to the chickens list.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Do you mean, Things Chickens Would Eat or do you mean Things I Could Raise to Feed Chickens? Because, if it's the former, the answer is Anything That Will Hold Still Long Enough, Except Eggplant.

4. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    I am looking for things that I can raise that my chickens will eat. We currently have ducks and geese and will be adding turkeys next year.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Millet, corn, rye and other grains are super easy to grow, and all those birds will love it.

6. LunaticCafe

LunaticCafe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    For chickens:

Clover
    Comfrey
    Dandelions (don't even have to try with these!)
    Field peas

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Think about some balance of protein for the chickens' diets. Yes, they are easy: "millet, corn, rye and other grains" - I have grown all those, altho' I didn't think to feed the rye to the chickens.

With those grains you can feed the peas. It may be best if peas are cooked but they have a good deal less anti-nutrients than other legumes. I have grown field peas and fed them to my chickens after cooking them with wheat in a rice cooker. The birds loved them [​IMG].

Clover and alfalfa have a good deal of protein when dry, as hay. It used to be common for farmers to collect the loose alfalfa under the hay and "scald" it for the chickens. 100 years ago, poultry scientists considered it a good feed.

Chickens like most vegetables but they usually don't have much protein so they don't contribute much to the building of meat and eggs. Also, chickens don't have the kind of digestive system that can benefit from a diet high in fiber. Seeds have a good deal more nutrition and can be the basis for a plant-based diet.

Steve

8. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    LunaticCafe ---- I want to thank you for suggesting comfrey. I had never heard of it before and come to find out it is the plant on our property that we have been trying to kill off for 3 years. It DOES NOT die! And I cut come off to give to the girls and they loved it! More than there lettuce!

9. LunaticCafe

LunaticCafe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    Wow...that's fabulous! I've been trying to figure out where I can fit some in since I've read it is such a good feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by