1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

different types of combs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lablover, Apr 28, 2012.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    What's the difference between this type of comb,[​IMG]

and this type?
    [​IMG]

2. barredbeans7

barredbeans7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    the first picture looks like a single comb....the second picture is hard to tell...if you know what breed of chicken it is,then you might be able to identify it better

3. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Well, they were sold as Easter Eggers, but there were some bantams (not sure what kind) in the same box. Not sure if I picked up a bantam though. Both chicks have feathered legs. They're probably just mixes.

4. barredbeans7

barredbeans7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    The only other thing I can think of is strawberry comb,or rose comb.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    The first one looks like a single comb but it also looks like it has green legs, that would make it an EE and it would have a pea comb. A front view would have been better. The second looks like a rose comb.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would like a front few on both to be positive but, the first looks like a Single Comb and the second looks like a Rose Comb.

They both could be EE's since a EE can come in any color, have any color legs, have any type of comb, and lay any color egg.

Chris

7. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Any better? The feet aren't exactly green like the ones I've seen pictures of on here. I'm actually worried that the first one is a bantam roo.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Lots better,
    The first is a Single Comb and a rooster the second one looks to be a very flat/immature Rose comb or a Cushion Comb.
    The Cushion Comb would be the result of crossing a Pea Comb Breed with a Rose Comb Breed so either way it has some Rose Comb bred into it.

Chris

9. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Guess I'm just gonna have me a little red rooster! He's too sweet to send back.

What kind of breeds have rose combs?

10. wescottwomen

wescottwomen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Bradford new hampshire
    Wow how can you tell he's a roo at that age I'm new so want to know how to do that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by