Different types of hay to put into a chicken nest?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by asianchicken, Jan 6, 2011.

1. asianchicken

asianchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    FLorida
    I was wondering about the alternatives that I can use other then hay for my chickens and doves where they can lay their eggs. I just want to have something soft but easily accessible.[​IMG]

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    U can use pine straw or a piece of outdoor carpet.

3. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    I cut carpet squares to size & use them in my nest boxes. After a month or 2 depending on how dirty it gets, I replace it with another square.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I use pine shavings that I get from my local feed store. The chickens seem to like them and bag lasts me several months.

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I also use pine shavings.. It works great UNLESS you have a new pullet who decides she needs to scratch ever pc. out before she lays her eggs..... It took her three weeks to stop..lol

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I use straw! My current layers (EE's and White Leghorns love it! I offered a few boxes of pine shavings and they Never went in there! Straw works great and is easy to clean! All I do is pull out the few pieces of poopy straw every few days!

-Nate

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I use the same shavings that I use for my floor litter (clean, obviously [​IMG]); with a sufficient lip on the nestbox it works just fine, and when nestbox bedding gets a bit pooey I just "promote" it to the floor.

But you can use practically anything. Shredded paper, straw (chopped or whole), very well-dried long-staple grass, dried leaves, whatever.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. jomom13

jomom13 New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Hi, new with chickens. Just want to know what type of hey is good for silkies and mini's. But, not real costly. I only have 1 silkie and 2 mini's. Thank You.

9. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I use hay as well. Works nicely and keeps the eggs clean.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by