Different varieties of the toulouse!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wolf-Kim, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I wanted to know the pros and cons of the barnyard Toulouse and the Giant Dewlap Toulouse.

I really think the Giant Dewlap Toulouse, look really cool, but I wonder if their big size and specialized breeding have some drawbacks. How much do these guys usually go for in eggs and goslings?

I figure the barnyard Toulouse are called barnyard variety for a reason. Although I don't think they look quite as neat and unique as the Giant Dewlap, they are probably more "efficient" and adapted for typical goose life. I could be wrong.

-Kim

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Kim, the giant dewlaps usually get top dollar on ebay and eggbid. They aren't very common due to the breeding problems.

We like our Toulouse, they are layed back and make good watch dogs for the other birds.

Steve

3. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    I figured that the Giant Dewlaps were really expensive. I just think they are so cool looking. I was researching Toulouse and saw the Giant Dewlaps and they were really neat looking.

What breeding problems do they have? I know that many birds that get that large need to be fertilized by AI or need to be provided water to help. Do they have trouble laying?

-Kim

4. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

I am interested in the toulose barnyard variety. I keep posting for them on craigslist in hopes of getting some.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have giant dewlaps. I hatched them myself. The egg prices ranged from $8 - $15 per egg. My buff dewlaps are the by far the best bred and hardiest of all that I hatched. They came from birds from Holderread's.

My sebbies were $8 - $10 per egg. they were the very hardest of all the goose eggs to date that I have hatched. Blood sweat and tears over those goslings trying to hatch.

Other toulouse, embdens and mixed mutt geese I hatched were free or as much as $3 per egg.

If you are willing to drive or pay $50+ for each gosling to be sure to have a live baby do it.

If you are willing to put in the 30+ days of pampering and caring for eggs and will to accept a 60% or less hatch rate try hatching.

I flip flop alot. The dewlaps and sebbies are by far awesome eye candy. It makes them even more precious to me that I hatched them and helped bring them into this world. I have tended their needs from the time they were mere dreams in my heart to have them.

I want grey dewlaps too. My one baby I hatched died at 3 weeks. [​IMG]

As soon as eggs start coming late winter I'll start hatching them again. [​IMG]

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Kim,
    There was somebody down your way selling dewlap eggs on ebay last year, I just remembered that. I'm check our copy of the ALBC breeders list and see if they are members.

Our last pair of Tuffed Toulouse should be leaving this afternoon, I kind of hate to see them go but we don't need that many geese, they are unusual looking with tuff. That just leaves us with 2 pair of Embdens, and a trio of Toulouse.

Steve

7. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:LOL. Steve at this rate in my indecision, I'll have a couple of dewlaps, a couple of regular toulouse and a couple of embdens! [​IMG] Where or where does the madness stop!?!?!

I'm sure I gave Adam the illusion I only wanted a couple.. [​IMG] So I wonder if I'll push it over the edge by bringing home or hatching several geese and a few ducks..

:| I think that may be a bit much. I might have to rethink this.. I was hoping someone would confirm that the dewlaps need special attention and thus mark them from my list. LOL

-Kim

8. waterfowlrescue

waterfowlrescue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    NC
    I have seen dewlaps with feet problems because of all the weight. Some we ran into last year had their keels dragging on the ground which produces some issues. Of course they were living in bad conditions.

My standard Toulouse flies a bit when he wants to but his mate seems to be mixed half and half. She cant lift her fanny off the ground to save her life. She has some lobes and a little dewlap but now enough to be pure. They just started fiddling with mating this year. I am not sure they figured it out yet.

9. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:That's neat about your toulouse. How often do the waterfowl rescues run into the dewlaps?

Maybe I should look into the Carolina rescue. I don't want many, just a few geese, and do not have any plans to breed them, so perhaps adopting some rescues would be better in this situation.

I plan to get some Muscovies from the rescue. I haven't done it yet, because I thought I might want to breed them, but I realized that I don't want to.

-Kim

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  10. waterfowlrescue

waterfowlrescue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    NC
    I rarely if ever get in dewlaps. We get standard toulouse more often but alot of times the geese are mixed breeds. I just adopted an Embden/China mix last week.

It seems to be feast or famine with birds. I get none for a while then they seem to pour in. Like swans for isntance, havent had any all year but got 4 in two weeks. Also got a bunch of peacock calls this week too. Scovys on the other hand come in droves all the time it seems.

If your considering some geese we are getting close to 100 ducks and geese from a town that is draining its lake and removing all the abandoned waterfowl. I am told they are mostly Embdens and pekins. They send me a list but i dont have it on me right now.

You'd have to be willing to come and get them in Charlotte though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by