1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Different Wattles on Identical Hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by halleyd591, Feb 28, 2017.

1. halleyd591

halleyd591 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    [​IMG]
    These girls are almost 8 months old. They are completely Identical except for their Wattles!!! One has vibrant red large Wattles and the others you can barely see. I think the smaller is more common? What would cause the one to have such large dominant Wattles. I have looked at pics online and haven't found any with Wattles like hers. They are almost like a roosters!

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    If you are sure it's a pullet (I don't know anything about the breed so can't comment on that) then the bright red color means she is laying or close to laying. There are also differences in individual birds so it could just be she has bigger wattles than other.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The reason for the difference is that one is bearded, the other is not. Bearded birds often have very small, almost nonexistent wattles (the genes are closely related). Non-bearded birds will always have much larger wattles in comparison.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Keesmom

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

6. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps