1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

differentiating coturnix chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jontowns, Mar 6, 2009.

1. jontowns

jontowns Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    I have just hatched out some BW , Jumbo, golden, and tuxedo chicks. Is there any way to tell which are which? I can tell the goldens but do not have a clue as to the BW, Jumbo Or Tux. Help

2. CheerfulChaos

CheerfulChaos Out Of The Brooder

Check out the Coturnix Education post by Monarc23. She shows pics of both chicks and adults of each color. It's toward the bottom of the first post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281

Hope that link posted correctly, I'm new at this. [​IMG] If not, just do a search for "Coturnix Education" and look on page number one. HTH

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
  5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    i could see how you can confuse bw with normal coturnix but i noticed one main difference. Bobwhite chicks have almost finch beaks where as coturnix quails have normal bird beaks like chicken shaped. [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Going by Sam's pics, it seems they have a lot more red on them? Or are those like week-old pics?

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Going by Sam's pics, it seems they have a lot more red on them? Or are those like week-old pics?

yeppers they do but if you're a newbie to coturnix and bw i could see how someone would be unsure [​IMG] when i first got into coturnix i was amazed how much they looked the same until I noticed the beaks! LOL!

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

yeppers they do but if you're a newbie to coturnix and bw i could see how someone would be unsure [​IMG] when i first got into coturnix i was amazed how much they looked the same until I noticed the beaks! LOL!

Yeah, that's what I meant by 'their heads looking different', I knew there was something that I had noticed about them, just wasn't sure what it was!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by