Difficult Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerJessie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. FarmerJessie

FarmerJessie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    I thought I would share my story of this morning with you today.

Two days ago I began having Blue Wyandottes and Gold Laced Wyandottes hatching in my incubator. Everyone did just fine with the hatching process except for the last chick. I left it alone for 24 hours and after about 36 hours, I decided it was time to intervene. I could tell the chick was still alive because I could see it breathing and also noticed some of its down was already dried that was exposed to the air and the chick had removed a good portion of the egg, but the membrane was not giving way.

I began peeling the rest of the egg shell off, but indeed the membrance was like leather! Luckily, living on a farm, we have a large amount of medical supplies in our house including 1ml syringes we had purchased for an old dog who had developed diabetes. I grabbed a syringe and filled a cup full of hot water (warm to the touch). I left the chick in the incubator and reached my hands in under the lid to try to keep the heat and humidity in. I then took the tiny little needle and sprayed water under the membrance since it was stuck so badly to the chick's down.

Slowly, but surely, I managed to get the membrane off and also got the dried down loosened enough that the chick could move its head and legs. The chick is VERY strong, so I am hoping it will pull through. Hopefully enough heat was left in the incubator (it dropped to 95.6 degrees, but quickly rose to 98.6 after sealing the lid) that the chick will not freeze. We'll see.

This little chick could use some prayers (seems silly to ask that for a little chicken, but I am sure you all understand! LOL)! I am sitting in the living room and can hear it peeping so hopefully it will pull through. If this works, I hope this little story will help some folks by giving them ideas of how to get a dried membrane off of a chick. The most important lesson is KEEP THE HUMIDITYY HIGH so this does not happen to your chick! The humidity in my incubator dropped down to 60% at one point which is when I noticed the water had dried up. I quickly added more, but it was obviously too late for this little one. I'll keep you all posted on its progress! I hope you enjoyed this little story and maybe even gained a little something from it.

Good luck!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    It really depends on your situation everyone's is different. I dry hatch (till they pip.) and my chicks come out nice and clean, and moist. I have a different type of bator than you do. been hatching chicks 40 years.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Fingers crossed your little one will be o.k. Keep us posted!

4. FarmerJessie

Apr 3, 2013
    The little chick is alive, but I will be surprised if it survives unfortunately. As one of you said previously, it is different for everyone and I am beginning to think maybe it wasn't the humidity at all, but rather maybe something was wrong with this chick. For some reason, this bird cannot stand without falling over backwards. It has not developed it's equilibrium like chicks normally do shortly after hatching. It doesn't appear to be weak, but just off balance. I currently have it in a Tupperware dish inside the incubator with a towel lining the dish so the chick can lean against the sides. I don't think there is much more I can do for this poor little thing. All of the other chicks are doing very well.

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    not every egg is equal. I am sorry. I have helped draggy chicks before, one time I had one that was a hard hatcher, and packed it around and even slept with it in a little box and breathed on it all night and it made it. I had one chick like that from a feed store, and it had it's eyes closed and everyone thought it was dead I packed it around 2 days and gave it yolk water and it got better too.

6. FarmerJessie

Apr 3, 2013
    It is still alive! This morning, I decided to place the chick with the rest of the hatch. It really seemed to help it. It is now able to stand and walk. For some reason, it isn't able to pick up its head above the level of its back. I haven't really noticed it eating or drinking on its own. I have taken it to the waterer and dipped its beak in. I am afraid it will be difficult for this little one to drink without being able to lift its head. How were you able to give your chick yolk water? I syringe I imagine. What ratio did you use? Thanks for the info!

7. FarmerJessie

Apr 3, 2013
    We are out of the woods! The chick is acting normally and you can hardly tell the difference between it and the chicks who hatched naturally. I love it when a plan comes together! LOL. Glad the little cutie got another chance at life!!

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    my last hatch I had to help the last chick out of the egg because it was draggy- and when it hatched it's toes on one foot were curled and she just scooted along with the bad foot. (she was a fridge egg.) two weeks later her foot got better, but she was smaller than the others and one day she just vanished from her pen. I think she got out and the other hens got her.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by