Diflucan - dosage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caralouise1974, Jun 24, 2010.

1. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

You may have seen my other lengthy thread about Daisy's crop impaction. Well, the long and the short of it is that my vet has been helpful, but not very effective, and I'm taking matters into my own hands.

She's not impacted any more, but has a 'slow' and sour crop, probably from the initial impaction that I managed to clear with olive oil and massage. She's already on nystatin 4 x daily, but I want to do more. I can't imagine that the nystatin is working when she still has so much rancid sludge in her crop.

So, I want to try a systemic anti-fungal, such as diflucan. I can get this over the counter at pharmacies in the UK, but as it is systemic, I am wary of overdose. How much should I give?

2. AlphaLupa

AlphaLupa New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    Brutus, Michigan
    I'm wondering the same thing but not getting any answers...

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Diflucan (fluconazole) is not sold over the counter in the US. A presciption from a vet is required, and below is a link to an online seller.
    http://www.1800petmeds.com/Fluconaz...9K4fRq4cT-I9sqoaApYh8P8HAQ&MID=1590&cid=11290
    Here is a dosage below from The Merck Veterinary Manual for birds, and a KG equals 2.2 pounds (I usually round off to 1/2 Kg equals a pound in weight.)

Fluconazole

5–15 mg/kg

PO, bid

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by