Difrent Typs Of Perches " Walk In Coops Only Pleas"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Star Chicken, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Star Chicken

Star Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Hey I was wondering what your perches looked like, and how can I have a lot of perches but in a small walk in coop? Pleas post pics of your walk in coop to give me ideas!! Thanks [​IMG]

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I just use strait, long perches.
    [​IMG]

3. Star Chicken

Aug 10, 2013
    Ya that's what I was thinking of doing but I want them to be able to jump from perch to perch and get to the top.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Oh I suppose I'll walk back out there for a photo [​IMG]............

5. Star Chicken

Aug 10, 2013
    Haha thanks!!

6. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Alright so here is mine. That window is facing south. North/South my coop is 8 ft long and the roost runs the entire length, it's around 4 ft high. East/West I have two 6 ft roosts. The lowest one is never slept on so I didn't worry about them pooping on each other, it is around 3 ft high and was simply added because they wouldn't fly up or come down off the roost when they were younger. Originally my nesting boxes were under the lowest roost so they hopped from the boxes to the 1st roost and then to the 2nd. Now they fly to the 2nd roost no problem. The 3rd roost is about 5.5 ft high. It was added because my chickens would try and sleep above the window, I had jealous chickens because it sure doesn't fit 6 chickens up there!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. Star Chicken

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks, I liked how you stacked your perches so that they can jump all the way up to the window!![​IMG]

8. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    You know how you can slant a ladder against a wall? That's my set-up. Every 18" is a roost bar. The first two are only for accessing the top bar.

Remember, no matter how many chickens there are - they ALL want to sleep highest up as they can. It's a safety instinct.

9. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    They really love that window lol Before adding the 3rd roost the five that didn't get to sleep above the window would all try and cram as close to the window as possibly on the 2nd roost. Now they sleep on the 3rd and don't cram each other as badly

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  10. Star Chicken

Aug 10, 2013
    I think I know how I'm going to set them up thank you guys soo much! Also do u guys know how I can get rid of leg mites and how to prevent them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by