DIG it ! They're here.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fireman, Feb 19, 2009.

1. fireman

fireman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    OK. The chicks are here. Thanks Ideal Poultry. I still have a few ?'s.
    1. How soon do I need to add grit to the chick feed? If so, how much?
    2. What are my options for the 'packing peanuts' ?
    4. The feed I got for'em is medicated. OK or not OK?

My wife already is hooked on 'em and is naming them as we speak.

Kevin

2. samapp

samapp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Mississippi
    Congrats!

1. I would not add grit until they are eating other things besides the chick starter. In fact, I never gave mine grit at all and they are ok. They get plenty of natural grit when they peck around in the dirt outside. Some people may not agree with not giving grit, but it works for me.

2. Some people give the peanuts away or raise them to butcher later on. Some people dispatch with them right away.

3. Some people use medicated starter, some don't. I used medicated for my chicks the first time, the second time I did not because I had ducks as well as chicks the second time and ducks should not eat the medicated starter. Both sets of chicks I had did just fine.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the new chicks.
    You do not need to add grit till you start giving them treats. As for the packing peanuts, you can raise them and find out what you have. Sometimes they are not all male. when you know the sex you can sell them, wait till they are bigger and eat them, or just keep them.

4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Congrats Kevin! Your wife has the right idea-who wouldn't be hooked on those little babies?

You should show us some pictures. [​IMG]

1) Like the others said, I don't add grit until I feed them treats. I just got my new Ideal chicks a week and a half ago and started treats at a week old. Just small things like oatmeal or a boiled egg, about once every other day. Add enough grit for everyone to get about 1/4 of a dime's size. I don't really think it hurts them if they get too much, though someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

2) I just posted an add on Craigslist for my peanuts. I gave 4 to a friend and gave away the other 6 an hour after I posted. No one around here will buy males, so yeah, I just gave them away. I don't have the heart to eat home-raised rooster.

3) Sure it's okay. I recommend it, though just make sure you change their feed after 2 months. Then you can start them on layer crumbles.

Oh btw, what kinds did you get?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats and good luck.
    The only thing I don't agree with (but maybe I misunderstood?) is changing them to layer crumbles at 2 months??
    You should keep them on starter/grower or at 6 to 8 weeks you can switch to just grower if it's available in your area.
    You switch to layer feed at 18 to 20 weeks or when you get your first egg; whichever comes first.

6. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Quote:True. I started mine at layer crumbles at about 3 or 4 months even still, but that was just cause I didn't really know what else to do. [​IMG]

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    There's always someone who will take packing peanuts. An ad on craigslist will usually see them gone that day if not with in an hour.

i've become an outlet for freinds who don't want to keep their peanuts and I'm always happy to take them. Frre Chickens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by