Digger is a mama!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wood&feathers, Sep 13, 2010.

1. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    We have only had chooks for a year now. It was about this time last year we took our rooster as part of a group destined for freezer camp. Then when he turned out to be a sweetie, we had to get him some girls. First a couple RIR, then in March a BR and Australorp. All were acquired locally as young started pullets.

Three weeks ago Digger our BR went hard core broody. I finally gave up breaking her and let her sit 5 eggs. Of the originals, only one was left a wk ago but 2 new ones appeared. The marked egg hatched Friday. The pic is here with her little white mutt, teaching it how to eat and drink.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. wood&feathers

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    FYI they are both on chick starter now. The egg had been chirping for a couple days, and the watery scramble is Digger's morning treat. The little thing surprised us by coming out overnight.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    So cute! [​IMG] Congrats! I really want to let one of our girls have a family next year....

4. wood&feathers

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Yeah, I wasn't sure, her not being even a year old. I did try to make sure she got feed supplements. The only hitch is I had to remove her and the little one from the brooder to empty all the bedding. She keeps showing it how to FIND food...and buries the waterer under a pile of bedding. They were back inside in minutes but she gave me all kinds of grief about it.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    What a great mamma! [​IMG]
    Does Digger have White Feet by any chance? [​IMG]

6. wood&feathers

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I have wondered if she was even a rock sometimes. Her eggs are a shiny terra cotta, and her legs are gray over pink. The breeder who sold them is not a show type, realy country, a gravedigger. "Digger" keeps holes around the yard where she likes to hide. She really disappears at the base of a white oak.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

My broody has 1 more week until she's a momma!

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Digger looks more like my Cuckoo Marans who lays terra cotta eggs than my Barred Rock. Whatever she is, she sure has a cute baby. Enjoy!

9. hillfarm

hillfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Central Texas
    awww. I can't wait for my lil EE to start a family. I wonder what EE and buff orp will look like. [​IMG]

10. wood&feathers

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Yes, I had been wondering if she was a Maran. For my purposes as a pet it doesn't really matter. I need to ask POP57 if he sold this fellow some birds. I can't imagine him acquiring Marans otherwise.

She is the most devoted mother, and this lone chick will be spoiled rotten

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by