Digging up my shrubs and plants

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TexasTink, Mar 23, 2008.

1. TexasTink

TexasTink New Egg

Mar 23, 2008
    I have 20 Red Star hens and two roosters. They free range on my seven ac. Around my house I have plants, bushes and shrubs. Is there a way to keep them from digging and dusting around them. I don't want to put up chicken wire because it won't look very good.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    You could stake chicken wire on the ground, directly around the plants you want to protect...just a thought. I've also read were people use rocks, paving stones or logs to protect plants from their digging chickens.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Edited to add: Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Rocks never did me any good unless they were the size of a small car. [​IMG]

The only thing that has worked so far is heavy duty 1 inch chicken wire. staked down with landscape staples every foot then covered with rocks or mulch.

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    How about putting up a nice little picket fence around the gardens, or even around the house. It looks better than chicken wire.

When I was in Alberta, I noticed many of the farms and ranches had picket fences around the entire house, just so they could have a nice garden and yard area, kept restricted from the farm animals. They looked quite nice. I imagine this would stop your yard from having poops all over as well.[​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'm going to do that with my veggie garden. I hope to some day have enough money to fence the entire back yard and just let the chickens run free back their instead of their large run.

6. TexasTink

TexasTink New Egg

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks for the Ideas, I going to go with the chicken wire on the ground aroud the plants. I think they will jump over the fence. Tink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by