Digging?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iblissa, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Iblissa

Iblissa New Egg

Mar 16, 2015
    Chandler, Az
    Digging may not be the right word, but I am wondering if Chickens dig or something like that.

I have 3 chicks about 2 weeks old. I looked at their coop yesterday and it looks like they may have attempted to dig out under the coop.

I am not sure if that is possible, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

Not digging out but maybe scratching out a wallow for dirt baths? Or just plain scratching around. My 10 day olds are quite enthusiastic about scratching out holes in their pine shavings to look for a treat that I have scattered under the bedding.

Birds will also scratch out a hollow to loosen the soil and then take a luxurious dirt bath.

3. Iblissa

Iblissa New Egg

Mar 16, 2015
    Chandler, Az
    Thank You. That helps a lot. This is my first time with chickens and I want to keep them safe.

4. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    My chickens will scratch through any loose material on the ground. Always hoping to expose something edible underneath.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can 'dig' some pretty impressive holes.

6. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Our chickens are serious excavators, they dig holes deep enough that we joke about them being foxholes. Granted, their run is mainly under a stand of Sycamore trees that have been here forever and there is a lot of loose stuff around, but it's impressive. One of our Delawares had a hole deep enough to thwart the rooster. Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by