Digital Thermo/Hygrometer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blaines.insane, Jan 27, 2009.

1. blaines.insane

blaines.insane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    SW Utah
    I have spent a lot of time looking for a reliable & accurate digital humity/temp gauge to use in my Genesis Hovabator, and am having a hard time making a decision. So I figured I'd ask what you all are using.

I would like to know:

1) brand
    2) have you tested accuracy? If so, how'd it do?
    3) how long you've been using it?
    4) aprox. price and where you bought it (if online)

Thanks,

Blaine

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have two. One is a Springfield. Got it at Wal-mart for $7. I also have a Bemis. I paid $26 for it. I have them side by side in my Genisis. Most of the time they are within .2 degrees of each other. The humidity is about 6% difference between the two. I have never checked the humidity accuracy. Do a search on here and it will tell you how to check it. I doubt a few percent humidity is going to make or break a hatch. I trust the Bemis more than the Springfield, as it was more expensive, and that is the one that I use to gauge the humidity level.

3. blaines.insane

blaines.insane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    SW Utah
    That's probably a good idea to have two in there... I didn't think of that. If you averaged the two, you'd probably have as accurate a measurement as you'd ever need.

few more questions, though --- where do you find the room for them when you're doing a large hatch? Do you use an auto egg turner? Would you put them on top of the turner? Or would you remove a couple of trays? If you removed trays, would you think it necessary to elevate the instruments to the level of the eggs?

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I don't know if it right, but I put them on the end where the motor for turner is. I stand them straight up and let them rest against the side of the bator.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use a Springfield and an Accurite that I bought from Wal-mart years ago. I keep mine in the back side of the bator away from the turner.

I have a Bemis that I paid $$ for and I like the Springfield and the Accurites best. I use new batteries everytime I do a hatch and I take them out and dry the thermometer/hygrometers out til I use them the next time.

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by