1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Digital Thermometer/Hygrometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Gab, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Hi! I have two different style thermometer/hygrometers by Accurite. They are both digital. One is reading 100 degrees/61% and the other is reading 96 degrees/52%. What am I supposed to do??????

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    1. Calibrate both therms the same way.
    2. calibrate both hydormeters the same way.
    3. take reading from both in the exact same spot in the bator (especally important in still air bators.)
    4.Buy a third and avrage it out and hope for the best if the above dosnt shed any light on the subject?[​IMG]
    Good luck

3. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Okay. BUT, I have NO idea how to calibrate them. Yikes! They are NOT the probe types. HELP!!!! Geez, what a novice I am!

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    To calibrate a Hydrometer

1/4 cup of salk
    1/2 cup of water
    Freezer ziplock bag
    Put cup of salt water on one side of the bag Hydrometer on the other.

Wait 8-12 hours Hydrometer should read 75%

If it reads lets say 80% humidity then that means its off by 5%.

I calibrate my temp on the thermometer by figuring out my tempeture in my county I put my thermometer outside for about 2 hours and check what it says if it read what it says it is outside then its right on if it read higher I know its so and so off or if it reads lower i know its so and so lower then what it reads.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    When I mix the 1/2 cup of salt and 1/4 of water together in an average size coffee mug it looks like there is about 1/4" of water above the wet salt. Sound about right?

The reason I ask is that the first directions I read said that the salt should have the consistency of wet sand. When I mixed the portions together I ended up with the 1/4" of water covering the salt. I figured somehow that my *precise* measurements had been off so I poured off the 1/4" of water to reveal the wet salt to the air.[​IMG] Of three different hygrometers only one got to a high of 66% while the others were down around 62%.

Just about 10 minutes ago I added a 1/4" of water and stirred it in well....humidty is already up to 70% on the high reading one, and 68% on one of the lower reading ones.

Looks like that 1/4" of water makes a difference!

Ed

6. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Songster

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Um..... the original message said 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup salt. Maybe that is your problem?

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Yes, the orginal message with the recipe stated 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup salt....but it is wrong.

1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water is correct. What I'm actually finding is that the correct mix is where water isn't standing above the salt but where the salt is a very wet slurry type of mixture. If water is standing above the salt either carefully pour the water off or soak it with a napkin. Some website describing how to check hygrometers even state to fill a soft drink bottle cap with salt and wet it to the saturation point. Apparently the important part is getting the salt appropriately wet...but not too wet.

Ed

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by