Digital Thermomitor/hygrometer question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perchie.girl, Sep 18, 2011.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I am hoping to learn how to incubate one day I have a Hovabator 1588 with egg turner that has never been opened. Bought it the beginning of summer and well Life got in the way. I want to hatch Guinea eggs and they take a higher humidity than chickens plus they go longer like 28 days.

I want to buy a digital Thermometer/hygrometer with a probe and cable so I can read the temps and humidity easily. Some of them even have alarms..... but while surfing the internet I got sooo confused....

What brands do you all use in your incubators? And where did you get them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

OOps I must have put this in the wrong place. Basically what I am finding on the internet range in price of 20 bucks to 400. There are even some that can down load info to your computer..... through a usb cable.

scratching my head here.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I was pretty last minute and needy, I got mine at the local feedstore. [​IMG] Basically the only hygrometer they had there. . . . It cost me less than $20 but works.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    perchie.girl :

I am hoping to learn how to incubate one day I have a Hovabator 1588 with egg turner that has never been opened. Bought it the beginning of summer and well Life got in the way. I want to hatch Guinea eggs and they take a higher humidity than chickens plus they go longer like 28 days.

I want to buy a digital Thermometer/hygrometer with a probe and cable so I can read the temps and humidity easily. Some of them even have alarms..... but while surfing the internet I got sooo confused....

What brands do you all use in your incubators? And where did you get them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What the heck are you waiting for. Just go to Walmart and get an Accurite no biggie. Follow the directions that come with the incubator and don't mess with it. You can adjust humidity by the vent plugs 58-60% for the first 25 days, remove turner, raise humidity to 65% maybe a little more. And Whala baby keets by day 28. I can't stress the importance of following the instructions, you know they test those things, I wish I would have my first few times, Lots of money down the drain. Good luck and hope to hear you have baby keets. I want quineas now.
    Michele​

5. perchie.girl

Quote:Ooh does it do temperature too? and is it digital? Do you know the name brand so I can see if My feed store carrys the same?

6. perchie.girl

Quote:What the heck are you waiting for. Just go to Walmart and get an Accurite no biggie. Follow the directions that come with the incubator and don't mess with it. You can adjust humidity by the vent plugs 58-60% for the first 25 days, remove turner, raise humidity to 65% maybe a little more. And Whala baby keets by day 28. I can't stress the importance of following the instructions, you know they test those things, I wish I would have my first few times, Lots of money down the drain. Good luck and hope to hear you have baby keets. I want quineas now.
    Michele

LOL.... I am waiting for my guineas to lay some eggs.... They are going to be of age in a couple of weeks and I am hoping I will get three or four eggs out of my three Guinea females. I had Terrible losses due to predators just trying to get them raised up..... sigh. The Accurite literature doesnt give a +- range for accuracy on either the temperatore or the Hydrometer.... When the eggs go to lock down they need to be kept at around 95 percent humidity according to all the info I have gleaned.

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
  8. perchie.girl

Quote:Oooh that last one is similar to what I am looking for but this seller doesnt sell to the United states. Hopefully I can find a Distributer here.

Do you have to calibrate them?

9. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    perchie.girl :

I am hoping to learn how to incubate one day I have a Hovabator 1588 with egg turner that has never been opened.f

How have you survived?!?!?!?! My new incubator comes today and I will probably tear the Fedex man apart trying to get at it, I doubt the box it is in will make it to the steps of the house!​

10. perchie.girl

Quote:How have you survived?!?!?!?! My new incubator comes today and I will probably tear the Fedex man apart trying to get at it, I doubt the box it is in will make it to the steps of the house!

LOL..... Never done it before with the exception of a failed try at guineas about five years ago. I sold that incubator.... different kind and still air. Figured since my hens at the time were hatching their own.... But now I want guineas. so am afraid to kill more eggs. I want to do it right and have been reading so much my eyes are bleary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by